Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2009/05/11 18:07:41 UTC

Open Relevance Project?

A few of us who are interested in an Open Relevance assessment project
(ala TREC) have started to put some thoughts down on "paper" over at http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/OpenRelevance

Thus, if you'd like to somehow participate (TBD what that actually
means just yet) in developing a set of open collections, queries and
assessments for relevance testing, let's discuss here and on that Wiki
page.

The basic gist of it is, we'd like to crawl Creative Commons and/or
other free content, redistribute it along with queries and judgments,
thus fueling the testing capabilities to further improve Lucene's
search quality as well as, of course, providing the means for a
completely open assessment process whereby anyone can participate
without having to fork up money to license 20 year old copyrighted
news articles that are of no other value whatsoever other than testing.

At this point, we're open to a lot of ideas.  Once we solidify a bit,
then we'd like to make it an official Lucene subproject and get our
own resources as well as figure out how to crawl and host the content
using ASF infrastructure (without making the ASF infra. team upset!)

Cheers,
Grant

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:07:41PM -0400, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Thus, if you'd like to somehow participate (TBD what that actually
> means just yet) in developing a set of open collections, queries and
> assessments for relevance testing, let's discuss here and on that Wiki
> page.

I won't be able to contribute directly in the near to medium term, but I look
forward to participating as a user.  Sounds like a great project.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me.  I would be able to help a few different ways.

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Ted Dunning wrote:
> Even if the corpus is very large, I doubt there will be all that much
> aggregate bandwidth.  The audience for this is relatively small.

+1
(I mean, count me in as 1 for the audience)

As for the corpus, why not start will all the Apache projects
documentation ?
It is relatively homogenous, free, it is there, it is close, and would
insure some audience.

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
I agree!  A a matter of fact, that is exactly what I just wrote here:
http://www.jroller.com/otis/entry/followup_open_relevance_project#comment-1242703187000

"....For example, couldn't a vendor use it to compare old implementation to
new implementation and provide some kind of metric showing improvements
in new version?...."

The first "vendor" in ORP's case might be Lucene.  My hope would be that others could and would take what ORP builds and apply it to their implementations.  My next wish after that would be to see others publish the results.  But, I think we'll never see any results from commercial vendors - I have a feeling they don't have much to gain by exposing their results to the competition and to the public.

Otis

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I think for now I won't add myself as committer.  I'm plenty swamped :)

I'll try to keep close tabs though.  This is an important effort!

Mike

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
+1.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves w/ changing the world or
anything like that.  First and foremost, we need this for Lucene, if
others benefit, so be it.  You are right on in that we need a shared,
free way of judging whether Lucene is improving on relevance (even if
it is already very good out of the box).  Otherwise, we can't even
have the conversation.  For instance, it would help in evaluating the
Axiomatic patch in JIRA or the SweetSpot stuff or a whole host of
things (for instance, our current len. norm tends to favor shorter
docs, is this the right default?)

On May 18, 2009, at 11:00 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Some interesting discussion at http://thenoisychannel.com/2009/05/18/copying-trec-is-the-wrong-track-for-the-enterprise/
> That was an interesting read. I think a lot of the argument misses
> the point. It doesn't seem to me that the main benefit or intent
> comes from 'bake offs' with other search engines ("Selling search
> applications to enterprises isn't, in my experience, about winning
> relevance bake-offs.") - the main benefit is allowing us to measure
> changes and improvements to Lucene's relevancy calculations and to
> make judgments about how Lucene currently performs. I see it easily
> as important as the Lucene benchmark contrib. Its not going to be a
> secret sauce, just like the benchmarker has been no secret sauce -
> but its going to make it easier to reliably improve Lucene in the
> future.
>
> - Mark

>>> Only if they are redacted/aggregated first.  ASF Members have
>>> access, but we'd need to get permission to distribute (after
>>> redaction/aggregation) I suspect.   Given the AOL marketing
>>> fiasco, we'd have to go over them in pretty good detail before
>>> releasing to make sure there is no personal information.  AFAIK,
>>> I'm the only ASF Member who has so far volunteered on this thread
>>> and I highly doubt I have the time for what I imagine to be a
>>> pretty decent sized endeavor.
>>>
>>> Stripping IP address is pretty straightforward, but the query
>>> terms might be a bit more involved.
>>>
>>> Still, can't hurt to find out what's involved.
>>>
>>> -Grant
>>

> --
> - Mark
>
> http://www.lucidimagination.com

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
André Warnier wrote:
> Hi.
> There has been an erlier suggestion here, later endorsed by someone
> else, to use the documentation of the Apache projects as a corpus.
> Being far from an expert, I am just naively wondering why the experts on
> this list seem to totally ignore it, without providing any argument.
> Is it somehow unsuitable, unpractical, inappropriate, bad, unfeasible,
> useless, uninteresting or ... ?

The documentation is mostly on a single topic - programming. The
vocabulary is, let's not deceive ourselves, limited ;) Pages contain a
lot of noise (Forrest navigation, javadoc dressing, common class names,
code snippets, etc).

For a general-purpose corpus you would want to have several topics, with
a well-balanced representation, and using a broad vocabulary and low
level of noise.

Additionally, this collection gets relatively little endorsement (links
with meaningful anchors) from within apache.org, so the typical PageRank
scoring wouldn't work too well (on the other hand, it resembles intranet
linkage, so it could be useful for studying scoring algos for enterprise
search).

So, while this collection is not useless, it's not the best fit either.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but .... hm, I was going to point out http://index.isc.org/ (see http://ioiblog.wordpress.com/2008/11/07/kicking-off-the-ioi-blog/ ), but the server doesn't seem to be listening.... aha, here: http://ioiblog.wordpress.com/2009/02/

Perhaps we can get data from Dennis and Jeremie?

Otis

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Very good point.

For that matter, the suggestion of apache docs is a trenchant one because
there is some possibility of getting a sample of queries (and if feasible,
session associated clicks).  Having real users provide feedback for real
queries like that would be *vastly* more useful than just dead documents.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
I followed the whole discussion on how obtaining a certain corpus of
document going on on this thread. I personally think that we should
first define WHAT kind of corpus or rather what kind of different
corpus should be included in this new OpenRelevance project and not
HOW this corpus is collected / aggregated. IR is not just about having
a huge corpus of full-text documents / web-pages especially when it
comes to ranking.

My understanding of OpenRelevance is to provide a set of corpus and
measurement procedures for various use cases not just to compete with
TREC. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Beyond that the project should help to improve Lucene - Ranking itself
or at least be helpful to obtain a measurement reference for more than
just WebSearch.

Anyway, I personally feel that the discussion about how to obtain a
certain corpus are out of scope at this stage of the project.

Simon

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

On May 13, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> Even if the corpus is very large, I doubt there will be all that much
> aggregate bandwidth.  The audience for this is relatively small.
>
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Grant Ingersoll
> <gs...@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> help overcome the bandwidth problem.
>>

> --
> Ted Dunning, CTO
> DeepDyve

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
So, I suppose the next steps are to formalize this project a little
more.  I'll call a vote on a separate thread to add it as a Lucene
sub.  I figured I would contact infrastructure to see what they
think.  Was also thinking that maybe we should talk with iBiblio or
some other content repository to see if they can help overcome the
bandwidth problem.

-Grant

On May 11, 2009, at 6:12 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> [...]
>> judgements by as wide an audience as possible.
>
> I think we will want a generic one, and then focused ones, but we
> should start with generic at first.
>

>> EG how about coverage of the 2009 H1N1 outbreak (that's licensed
>> appropriately)?  Or... the 2008 US presidential election?  Or...
>> research on Leukemia (but I fear such content is not typically
>> licensed appropriately, nor will it have wide interest).
>>
>> What does "using Nutch to crawl Creative Commons" actually mean?  Can
>> I browse the content that's being crawled?
>
> Nutch has a CC plugin that allows it to filter out non-CC content,
> AIUI.
>

>> Also, to help us build up the relevance judgements, I think we should
>> build a basic custom app for collecting queries as well as annotating
>> them.  I should be able to go to that page and run my own queries,
>> which are collected.  Then, I should be able to browse previously
>> collected queries, click on them, and add my own judgement.  The site
>> should try to offer up queries that are "in need" of judgements.  It
>> should run the search and let me step through the results, marking
>> those that are relevant; but we would then bias the results to that
>> search engine; maybe under the hood we rotate through search engines
>> each time?
>>
>> Do we have anyone involved who's built similar corpora before?  Or
>> has
>> anyone read papers on how prior corpora were designed/created?
>
> This is all good, but here I'm thinking simpler, at least at first.
> I don't know that we need to be writing apps, although feel free,
> since it is O/S after all.  :-)  I was wondering if we couldn't
> handle this wiki style (how is still not clear) whereby we simply
> have pages that contain the queries and judgments and over time the
> wisdom of the crowds will work to maintain standards, fill in gaps,
> etc.    Maybe, in regards to judgments, we allow people to vote for
> them, which over time will yield an appropriate result (but is
> subject to early issues).  Not sure what all that means just yet,
> but the wiki approach allows us to get going with minimal resources
> while still delivering value.  Hmm, now it's starting to sound like
> an app...  ;-)
>
> As opposed to TREC style stuff, I don't think we need the top 1000
> (although it could work).  Just the top ten or twenty.  Sometimes,
> it can even be useful to just rate a whole page of results at once,
> even at the cost of granularity.   Basically, what I'm proposing we
> do is carry out a pragmatic relevance test out in the open, just as
> people should do in house.  I think this fits with Lucene's model of
> operation quite well: be practical by focusing on real data and real
> feedback as opposed to obsessing over theory.  (Not that you were
> suggesting otherwise, I'm just stating it)
>
> I need to find the reference, but I recall the last edition of SIGIR
> having a discussion on crowdsourcing relevance judgments.

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I was involved in TREC-1 through 5 or so as a researcher.  That means that I
didn't actually create the corpus but I certainly had to deal with the
results and see how things turned out.

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
Michael McCandless wrote:

> I think it's actually quite a challenge to do well.  EG it's easy to
> make a corpus that's too easy because it's highly diverse (and thus
> most search engines have no trouble pulling back relevant results).
> Instead, I think the content set should be well & tightly scoped to a
> certain topic, and not necessarily that large (ie we don't need a huge
> number of documents).  It would help if that scoping is towards
> content that many people find "of interest" so we get "accurate"
> judgements by as wide an audience as possible.
>
> EG how about coverage of the 2009 H1N1 outbreak (that's licensed
> appropriately)?  Or... the 2008 US presidential election?  Or...
> research on Leukemia (but I fear such content is not typically
> licensed appropriately, nor will it have wide interest).

These are good ideas. It's difficult not only to collect a meaningful
corpus, but also later to distribute it, if it weighs a hundred GBs or more.

> What does "using Nutch to crawl Creative Commons" actually mean?  Can
> I browse the content that's being crawled?

Yes. It's easy to collect a lot of web pages starting from a seed list
and expanding the crawling frontier to linked resources, while applying
CC license filters. Nutch provides a lot of tools out of the box that we
need anyway, such as keeping track of page status, following outlinks,
parsing, working with web graph (important for scoring web documents),
indexing, searching and content browsing.

> Also, to help us build up the relevance judgements, I think we should
> build a basic custom app for collecting queries as well as annotating
> them.  I should be able to go to that page and run my own queries,
> which are collected.  Then, I should be able to browse previously
> collected queries, click on them, and add my own judgement.  The site
> should try to offer up queries that are "in need" of judgements.  It
> should run the search and let me step through the results, marking
> those that are relevant; but we would then bias the results to that
> search engine; maybe under the hood we rotate through search engines
> each time?

Comparing results across search engines is clearly a challenge. Among
others, this requires that the corpus that we use with the engines that
we operate (Lucene? KinoSearch? other open source engines?) contains at
least top-X (where X > N) URL-s returned from external engines for every
query - otherwise we won't be able to compare the results.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: Open Relevance Project?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
The standard technique for this is what is called "pooled relevance" where
all the results from all the search engines are combined into a pool for
judging.

In our case, we should probably make the pool dynamic so that tests on new
search engines will enlarge the pool.

Related to that, we should not pretend that we can measure recall for any
meaningful sized corpus.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve