Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Conrad O'Dea <ri...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/11 12:36:33 UTC

running CXF service under IBM JDK on AIX

Hi,

I have a CXF service that runs fine on several platforms but is having
some problems on IBM's JDK [1] on AIX.  When the server starts up, I
get the following stack trace when the service tries to publish an
endpoint:

 [java] WARNING: URL creation failed:
     [java] java.lang.NullPointerException
     [java]     at org.mortbay.http.HttpServer.getContext(HttpServer.java:463)
     [java]     at org.mortbay.http.HttpServer.getContext(HttpServer.java:486)
     [java]     at
org.apache.cxf.transport.http.JettyHTTPServerEngine.addServant(JettyHTTPServerEngine.java:143)
     [java]     at
org.apache.cxf.transport.http.JettyHTTPDestination.activate(JettyHTTPDestination.java:123)
     [java]     at
org.apache.cxf.transport.AbstractDestination.setMessageObserver(AbstractDestination.java:121)
     [java]     at org.apache.cxf.endpoint.ServerImpl.start(ServerImpl.java:67)
     [java]     at
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.EndpointImpl.doPublish(EndpointImpl.java:261)
     [java]     at
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.EndpointImpl.publish(EndpointImpl.java:172)
     [java]     at
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.spi.ProviderImpl.createAndPublishEndpoint(ProviderImpl.java:67)
     [java]     at javax.xml.ws.Endpoint.publish(Endpoint.java:156)
     [java]     at
com.iona.repository.providers.AbstractInfrastructureProvider.publish(AbstractInfrastructureProvider.java:76)
     [java]     at com.iona.repository.Main.publishProviders(Main.java:190)

Now, this is a warning and the server continues to start up ok but
does not respond to requests at all.  The service may not be
functioning correctly for some other reason  but I wanted to check if
the stack trace above is something that could be causing a problem.
Are there any known issues using CXF on AIX or with IBM JDKs?  I can
reproduce the exception above running the service on Linux with an IBM
JDK.

thanks
/c

[1] IBM J9 VM (build 2.3, J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 AIX ppc-32
j9vmap3223-20060504 (JIT enabled)

Re: running CXF service under IBM JDK on AIX

Posted by Conrad O'Dea <ri...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

this is a RESTful service so it should be ok in that regard.

Thanks for the heads-up
Conrad

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Conrad,

Posted by Fred Dushin <fr...@dushin.net>.
Hi Conrad,

Out of curiosity, can you run the CXF WS-Security tests on AIX?  The
reason I ask is this: there are known issues with the WSS4J toolkit
on IBM's JVM, as the WSS4J does some insertion of JCE providers in
some static code, and unfortunately there is no way to turn this
behavior off.  This has been known to cause problems on IBM's JVM,
where the Bouncycastle JCE provider had some incompatibilities with
IBM's JCE.  This was on 1.4, so I'm curious to know if this has been
rectified in a 1.5 JVM.

Thanks,
Fred

Posted by Conrad O'Dea <ri...@gmail.com>.