Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by "Ramanadham, Radhika" <ra...@emc.com> on 2014/03/04 18:42:13 UTC

Which interface/library is better for couchDB

Hi,

I am trying to see if couchDB is a good fit for my project. For the most part, looks like it is. I also wanted to know which interface/library is a better one with better support out there to talk to couchDB?
Can you any one help with some suggestions.

Thank you,

Re: Which interface/library is better for couchDB

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
On 4 March 2014 18:42, Ramanadham, Radhika <ra...@emc.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to see if couchDB is a good fit for my project. For the most
> part, looks like it is. I also wanted to know which interface/library is a
> better one with better support out there to talk to couchDB?
> Can you any one help with some suggestions.
>
> Thank you,

Hi Radhika,

the question is not answerable that easily because we don't know which
programming language you are using. Basically, you can communicate with
CouchDB via the RESTful HTTP interface. You may want to read the docs to
learn more about CouchDB

http://docs.couchdb.org

You can also find various libraries in the Wiki here:

https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Basics
https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/CouchDB_tools

Cheers

Andy

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

RE: Which interface/library is better for couchDB

Posted by "Mclean, Adam" <ad...@rbc.com>.
For perl I've had a lot of success using Mojolicious:
http://mojolicio.us/

I use the non-blocking user agent directly into the couch REST API within the servers IOLoop so non-blocking / async is easy and fast:
http://mojolicio.us/perldoc/Mojo/UserAgent

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014, Russell Duhon <fu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For python I recommend cloudant's library, which uses the requests library
> to make concurrency a lot easier. We're switching our app to it from
> python-couchdb, which is overly chatty and has concurrency issues.
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/cloudant/0.5.5
>
> Sincerely,
> Russell

or couchdbkit that allows you to use gevent, eventlet or threads. Also
compared to requezt it is using http-parser from joyent.

Posted by Russell Duhon <fu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Ramanadham, Radhika" <ra...@emc.com>.
Zelder,

Is there a repository where AnyEvent:CoucHDB is available so that I could just zipper install this package on suse linux?

Thanks,
Radhika

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 05. März 2014 at 06:52:14, Michael Zedeler. (michael@zedeler.dk) wrote:
> On 2014-03-04 19:46, Ramanadham, Radhika wrote:
> > I am looking at perl or python.

For completeness, I use Store::CouchDB a lot.

A+
Dave

Re: Which interface/library is better for couchDB

Posted by "Michael Zedeler." <mi...@zedeler.dk>.

Posted by "Ramanadham, Radhika" <ra...@emc.com>.

Posted by Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
in which language? couchbeam in erlang is quite complete. or just use http.

Posted by "Ramanadham, Radhika" <ra...@emc.com>.
I need to create documents and be able to do CRUD ops on each doc. I am looking at perl and python modules

I want to use the rest interface for couch DB to filter data and run some analytics.

You could also check out the list of libraries on the wiki: https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Related_Projects. They serve different purposes, and work in different environments so it's hard to recommend without knowing more about your circumstances.

Nick

Posted by Nick North <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kwasi Gyasi - Agyei <kw...@edged.co.za>.
I agree with rolling your own, unless you looking for some voodoo, in which
case you can look at Doctrine ODM.

Posted by Vivek Mishra <mi...@gmail.com>.
use kundera

Posted by "Florian Westreicher Bakk.techn." <st...@meredrica.org>.

Posted by Mark Hahn <ma...@hahnca.com>.
What platform are you running on?  If it is node then I highly recommend
Nano.

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Ramanadham, Radhika <

Posted by Max Thayer <ma...@cloudant.com>.
For Python, I use
Cloudant-Python<https://github.com/cloudant-labs/cloudant-python> but
I'm biased. Check it out in action
here<https://github.com/cloudant-labs/cloudant-python#usage>
.

But really, if your needs amount to document CRUD, I can't think of a
CouchDB library that won't do the trick. Most of the libraries out there
differ in interface philosophy, or as Russell noted, how they handle things
like concurrency and large responses.

Best regards,
Max <http://www.maxthayer.org/>

Posted by "Ramanadham, Radhika" <ra...@emc.com>.
Thanks.
It's basically a longevity test results dashboard we are coming up with and we want to store test results (which are in all different formats) from various products/sources into couchDB.
Before I store the data from different sources to couch DB, I need to massage the data first. So, was thinking Perl may be a good fit. Wasn't sure of which library I should pick. My second choice would be python.

Posted by Stanley Iriele <si...@gmail.com>.