Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by ggerla <gi...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/17 13:54:00 UTC

Daily file appender with max number of file

Hi all
For my application I need a file appender that manages DatePattern in the
name of the file like org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender, but manages
also the max number of file allowed and can compress log files.
Because this functionalities are not implemented in log4j, I customized the
DailyRollingFileAppender.
It would be interesting to integrate this new class in the pax-logging, so
it is possible avoid to create a fragment bundle and edit the file
startup.properties every time I make a deploy.
What do you think?

Br
Giuseppe

Re: Daily file appender with max number of file

Posted by ggerla <gi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much.

regards

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Giuseppe,

I plan to release Pax Logging 1.7.2 next week (Monday evening or
Tuesday) and include it in Karaf 3.0.1, 2.3.4 and 2.4.0.

You can track it:

After the Karaf release, I can update in ServiceMix.

Regards
JB

On 01/18/2014 09:48 AM, ggerla wrote:
> Ok, the new file appender is integrated in pax-logging 1.7.2-SANPSHOT.
>
> Now the questions are:
> - When the pax-logging 1.7.2 will be delivered?
> - In what version Karaf will use the new version and when will be delivered?
> - In what version Servicemix will use the new version of Karaf and when will
> be delivered?
>
> If I can do anything to help you in the delivery flow, I will happy to do
> it.
>
> Best regards
> Giuseppe

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Daily file appender with max number of file

Posted by Filippo Balicchia <fb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Giuseppe,

I'm not the right person and I don't know the release date of every single
project;

But If need to use your appender asap you can use it as fragment

for more info please check
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.3.x/users-guide/logging-system.html

Regards

--Filippo

Posted by ggerla <gi...@gmail.com>.
The ZipRollingFileAppender class manages max number of files and zip
compression, but doesn't manage the DatePattern in the file name.
My DailyZipRollingFileAppender manages max number of files, zip/gz
compression and DatePattern in the file name.
So as you suggest me, now I create a fork on github and than open an issue
on Jira.

Thank you

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

this is already possible.

take a look at https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/PAXLOGGING-116

if it's not sufficient for you you'll need to create a new Jira issue at
ops4j.

regards, Achim

2014/1/17 ggerla <gi...@gmail.com>

> Hi all
> For my application I need a file appender that manages DatePattern in the
> name of the file like org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender, but
> manages
> also the max number of file allowed and can compress log files.
> Because this functionalities are not implemented in log4j, I customized the
> DailyRollingFileAppender.
> It would be interesting to integrate this new class in the pax-logging, so
> it is possible avoid to create a fragment bundle and edit the file
> startup.properties every time I make a deploy.
> What do you think?
>
> Br
> Giuseppe

Project Lead