Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Li Wang <li...@gmail.com> on 2021/02/13 20:18:29 UTC

Zookeeper 3.7 release

Hello,

Any updates on the 3.7 release? It looks like release candidate #1 has been
tested. I wonder if there's any updates on that.

Thanks,

Li

Re: Zookeeper 3.7 release

Posted by Damien Diederen <dd...@apache.org>.
Hi Li, Enrico, Christopher,

>>> Any updates on the 3.7 release? It looks like release candidate #1
>>> has been tested. I wonder if there's any updates on that.
>>
>> There were a few people that reported that tests are not stable and
>> we are working on that. I hope we can have a new RC before the end of
>> February

I have been buried under other topics, but am planning to prepare a
third another release candidate ASAP.  That would be "very soon" if I
could find some time to work on and fix the test suite stability issues,
or… if somebody else happened to beat me to it!

Some have already been fixed, notably:

  * ZOOKEEPER-4199: Avoid thread leak in QuorumRequestPipelineTest #1591
    https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/1591
  * ZOOKEEPER-4200: Widen latency window in WatcherCleanerTest #1592
    https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/1592
  * ZOOKEEPER-4201: C client: Disable SASL deprecation warnings on macOS #1593
    https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/1593

I still haven't merged them because the generally unstable CI got in the
way.  I'm planning to do so as soon as we have a stable(r) situation.

I have seen some good leads and suggestions from Christopher and Diego.
I believe Christopher's analysis is correct; that the port reservation
mechanism is ineffective across forked JVMs.  Some of our tests also
have to be reworked to be stable in the face of variable performance.

Unfortunately, it seems that the new "matrix" runner has substantially
increased the probability of failure of such tests.  Which is good news
in the long term, but a bit painful right now…

Cheers, -D

Re: Zookeeper 3.7 release

Posted by Li Wang <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Enrico,