Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brendan Simon <Br...@BrendanSimon.com> on 2006/05/15 02:21:16 UTC

MSW versus Linux server

I need to setup a SVN server at work.  We have a Windows domain
controller that will eventually be used for authenticating Linux clients
using LDAP.

At this stage I'm leaning towards svnserve, rather than apache, for
simplicity reasons.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to running svnserve on a Linux or
Windows server?

I would like to use both Linux and Windows SVN client software.  Would
that make a difference to choice of server?

Thanks,
Brendan.

Re: MSW versus Linux server

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 5/14/06, Brendan Simon <Br...@brendansimon.com> wrote:
> I need to setup a SVN server at work.  We have a Windows domain
> controller that will eventually be used for authenticating Linux clients
> using LDAP.
>
> At this stage I'm leaning towards svnserve, rather than apache, for
> simplicity reasons.

Simplicty comes at a price.  I you can authenticate via LDAP if you
use Apache, but that option does not exist via svnserve last I
checked.  svnserve is also not secure unless you use svn+ssh:// for
your access method.

> Is there any advantage or disadvantage to running svnserve on a Linux or
> Windows server?

Depends on whether you're using bare svn:// or svn+ssh://

> I would like to use both Linux and Windows SVN client software.  Would
> that make a difference to choice of server?

The client doesn't care what OS the server is running.