Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Ifeanyichukwu Osuji <os...@potsdam.edu> on 2010/07/26 20:56:36 UTC

image processing on a low level using PIG...Possible?

     Hi all,

          I was wondering if it would be possible to process images on a
low level using PIG. I want to be able to write a pig script
that can differentiate between two images.

Re: image processing on a low level using PIG...Possible?

Posted by Russell Jurney <ru...@gmail.com>.
There was a slide desk sitting around google that had a 'facial recognition'
UDF a while back.

Posted by Mridul Muralidharan <mr...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <as...@gmail.com>.
To add in bit more details: You basically load images as bytearray
type. Pig wont interpret it. Then you can write a UDF which takes
these bytearrays as input. You can choose to work directly on
bytearray or create image objects out of them, do your processing and
return bytearray back to Pig. You can further do other sql-y
operations on your images (like filter, group etc) using Pig
primitives which will let you leverage Hadoop's strength.
So, in short answer to your question is Yes.

Ashutosh

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.