Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2008/10/16 01:50:56 UTC

Where will ee6 development take place?

I realize I've been assuming that we'll just develop ee6 features in
trunk and release 2.2 with a bunch or all of ee6 implemented.  I have
some connector 1.6 stuff I'm about to commit....

This attitude might cause tck problems especially with signature
tests.  On the other hand maybe we can get signature updates.

What do other people think we should do?

thanks
david jencks

Re: Where will ee6 development take place?

Posted by Jason Warner <ja...@gmail.com>.
see inline

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 7:50 PM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> I realize I've been assuming that we'll just develop ee6 features in trunk
> and release 2.2 with a bunch or all of ee6 implemented.  I have some
> connector 1.6 stuff I'm about to commit....

That was my assumption as well.

> This attitude might cause tck problems especially with signature tests.  On
> the other hand maybe we can get signature updates.

I think a trunk build is the perfect place to introduce tck problems, so
long as they can be resolved before a release.  I think this could be
discussed further and in more detail, but would prefer to do that on the tck
list.

--
~Jason Warner

Re: Where will ee6 development take place?

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
I think it all depends on the amount of tck destabilization and how long
we think it might take to get things resolved.

IMO we should be thinking about releasing 2.2 soon.  I'm all for getting
as much ee6 content included as possible ... but if too much breaks in
the tck it could take a long time to recover.

So I think this is a case by case decision.  If we know something will
cause significant instability regarding tck then I think we should
consider branching 2.2 and let trunk continue with ee6.

Joe

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 16, 2008, at 10:32 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2008, at 7:50 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> I realize I've been assuming that we'll just develop ee6 features
>> in trunk and release 2.2 with a bunch or all of ee6 implemented.  I
>> have some connector 1.6 stuff I'm about to commit....
>>
>> This attitude might cause tck problems especially with signature
>> tests.  On the other hand maybe we can get signature updates.
>>
>> What do other people think we should do?
>
> I'm all for making progress w/ Java EE 6 items. However, It's highly
> doubtful that we'll see tck updates for specs which are not even in
> public draft form. So, I' wouldn't be too hopeful that we'll see
> timely Java EE 5 TCK updates from Sun. I think we should plan
> accordingly and have Java EE 5 configurations that we're able to
> target our compliance efforts on.

I guess what  I'll do is to try to make it really easy to switch
between spec versions in the trunk build.

For connector this will entail:

- moving some versions into the connector plugin root pom
- copying the connector plugin to a connector1_6 plugin
- using some maven properties to select which plugin and component and
spec gets used
- dealing with dependencies.xml changes via a patch (or updating c-m-p
to allow property substitution in the dependencies.xml files)

Hopefully this won't be too inconvenient for new work or old work.

IIUC Jetty is actively considering accepting something like my jaspi-
enabled version into jetty trunk: if and when this happens I can  try
to do something similar to the above proposal for connector for the
jetty7 integration now in my sandbox.

Many thanks
david jencks

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.