Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Neville Aga <ne...@agafamily.com> on 2006/11/01 17:32:04 UTC

looking for recommendations for a perl user account script

Hello, I have a existing website which I am looking to add in a piece
for users to sign up for accounts. I am searching around Google and I
find a few scripts mentioned - account manager / account manager lite
from site interactive (last update 2001), a package called burp Basic
User Registration Package, which seems to be dead links now, and
Membership manager pro from perlwebsite.com. Does anyone have any
experice or recommendations on these or any other (perl) scripts that
automate the process of signup, approval (ideally credit card approval
with authorize.net), email out lost passwords, etc?

What I am hoping for is a form based login which sets a cookie on the
users browser. When the user clicks the signup button, there would be a
form to enter an email, password and credit card info. If the credit
card goes through then the account is created.  I don't want to go out
and re-invent this if good scripts already exist. Hopefully this is not
too off topic and someone reading this has experice with these scripts
or other scripts and can give me a suggestion where to look.

Thanks,
Neville Aga

Re: looking for recommendations for a perl user account script

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 10:32 -0600, Neville Aga wrote:
> Does anyone have any experice or recommendations on these or any other
> (perl) scripts that automate the process of signup, approval (ideally
> credit card approval with authorize.net), email out lost passwords,
> etc?

You might be able to get some of that from the Catalyst auth framework,
but most of it sounds too custom to be off-the-shelf.  When you get into
dealing with payments, you will probably need to build the structure of
it yourself.  You can find CPAN modules to do the actual payment
processing, session tracking, etc. though, so it's just the high-level
code and the HTML that you'll have to make yourself.

- Perrin

Re: looking for recommendations for a perl user account script

Posted by Jonathan <mo...@2xlp.com>.
On Nov 1, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Neville Aga wrote:

> Hello, I have a existing website which I am looking to add in a
> piece for users to sign up for accounts. I am searching around
> Google and I find a few scripts mentioned - account manager /
> account manager lite from site interactive (last update 2001), a
> package called burp Basic User Registration Package, which seems to
> be dead links now, and Membership manager pro from perlwebsite.com.
> Does anyone have any experice or recommendations on these or any
> other (perl) scripts that automate the process of signup, approval
> (ideally credit card approval with authorize.net), email out lost
> passwords, etc?
>
> What I am hoping for is a form based login which sets a cookie on
> the users browser. When the user clicks the signup button, there
> would be a form to enter an email, password and credit card info.
> If the credit card goes through then the account is created.  I
> don't want to go out and re-invent this if good scripts already
> exist. Hopefully this is not too off topic and someone reading this
> has experice with these scripts or other scripts and can give me a
> suggestion where to look.

This is a mod_perl list, not perl

You'd get a lot better answers asking (or searching) on http://
perlmonks.org -- they deal with generalized perl questions.