Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rs...@engelschall.com> on 1998/02/05 12:23:28 UTC

Re: case sensitivity issues

In article <Pi...@twinlark.arctic.org> you wrote:

> RFC2068 section 2.1 states:
>    "literal"
>        Quotation marks surround literal text. Unless stated otherwise,
>        the text is case-insensitive.

> Section 3.3 defines acceptable date formats in terms of RFC822,
> RFC850, and RFC1123.  None of the latter specify if the date format is
> case-sensitive.  But RFC2068 implies here that dates are case-insensitive.
> I suspect this is an error, and dates are in fact case-sensitive.
> I'm guessing this because Roy built util_date.c and it is definately
> case-sensitive.

> We do pretty well getting this stuff right... but I fixed a few cases.

> mod_rewrite still has problems I think -- in particular it does
> strcmp(r->uri, r->main->uri) a whole bunch.  That's not a valid way to
> compare two URIs unless it's known that neither have schemes/hostnames.
> But I suspect it's not really an issue.

You mean its ok for the standard cases where no proxy requests come in but for
such URLs it fails. Hmmmm... yes, not very good.

> Also, users using mod_rewrite with scheme names in regexes would have
> to do [Hh][Tt][Tt][Pp]: in order to match the protocol... things
> would probably be much better if we just always ensured the scheme
> and hostname were lowercase (and :80 was removed) before doing a
> comparison.

But then we should add a general comparison function which is then used by all
modules for this job. I think mod_rewrite is not the only module which does
such compares. Has someone checked mod_proxy for these cases?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com