Posted to user@click.apache.org by Emerson Castañeda <em...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/11 18:42:27 UTC

Creating a control to check for available username before submit the form

Hi everyone

I'v been using Click for some time, right now I'm coding a aplication that
allows to create user accounts, all validations in the html form are working
right after submiting it, even a simple captcha implementation that I have
included.

I'd like to check the availibility of a new username before submit the form,
I think the sample of AutoCompleteTextField control that is included in
Apache Click Extras Project should be a good guide to try implement a new
control that does that validation and implements some graphic effect on the
presentation layer. Looking the code and around all dependeces of
AutoCompleteTextField (/click/control.js, /click/prototype/prototype.js,
/click/prototype/effects.js, /click/prototype/controls.js) it results too
complex to me.

My question is: some ne have a idea about how i can implement this kind of
funcionality in a easier way without altering  the philosopy of  Click
Framework?

Thanks in advance for your help.

EmeCas

Re: Creating a control to check for available username before submit the form

Posted by Mike Hoolehan <mi...@hoolehan.com>.
Check out the "Ajax" examples; they should illustrate a method for
doing what you want (i.e. updating some page content based on the
result of an ajax call, if i understand you correctly).

The AutocompletField uses the Prototype javascript frawework to
simplify the coding of more complicated javascript.  If you're
building your own control, you can skip the prototype dependencies
(using another framework such as jQuery or foregoing altogether and
writing 'straight' javascript).

Also, If you want some extra tools in writing Ajax within click, check
out Bob's "ajax4click"
http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ajax4click/ (which uses
jQuery currently) and/or take a look at some example code I've written
up for manipulating controls with ajax
(http://www.hoolehan.com/computer/apache_click_dom_event_actionresults.html)