Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Michael Koss <mi...@email.com> on 2003/05/04 02:39:35 UTC

Setup Problems

Hello. I am trying to install James for the first time and I am running into a slight problem. I am running Win2K professional, JRE 1.4.1_02. I downloaded james-2.1.1.zip and unzipped it into c:\java\james\james-2.1.1. I ran run.bat in the bin directory like the setup instructions say to complete the setup but I encounter an exception when the SMTP is starting:

C:\java\james\james-2.1.1\bin>run
Using PHOENIX_HOME:   C:\java\james\james-2.1.1
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: C:\java\james\james-2.1.1\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      C:\java\sdk14102\jre\

Phoenix 4.0.1

James 2.1.1
Remote Manager Service started plain:4555
POP3 Service started plain:110
org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleException: Component named
"smtpserver" failed to pass through the Initialization stage. (Reason: java.net.
BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind).

It goes on and on from here, but this is the important part. The thing is, I don't have anything running on port 25. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Michael.

RE: Setup Problems

Posted by Marco <mt...@jemos.org>.
What usually happens is that, after the first run, a folder called james
is created under /apps. Under james, you will find another folder called
SAR-INF which contains a configuration file called config.xml. First of
all you should configure this file and restart james.

Hope it will help,

Marco

Re: Setup Problems

Posted by joni santoso <st...@plasa.com>.
This is probably because you have installed other  smtp
server and it is running. Probably it is IIS. Check your
IIS.

On Sat, 03 May 2003 18:39:35 -0600
  "Michael Koss" <mi...@email.com> wrote:
>Hello. I am trying to install James for the first time
>and I am running into a slight problem. I am running
>Win2K professional, JRE 1.4.1_02. I downloaded
>james-2.1.1.zip and unzipped it into
>c:\java\james\james-2.1.1. I ran run.bat in the bin
>directory like the setup instructions say to complete the
>setup but I encounter an exception when the SMTP is
>starting:
>
>C:\java\james\james-2.1.1\bin>run
>Using PHOENIX_HOME:   C:\java\james\james-2.1.1
>Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: C:\java\james\james-2.1.1\temp
>Using JAVA_HOME:      C:\java\sdk14102\jre\
>
>Phoenix 4.0.1
>
>James 2.1.1
>Remote Manager Service started plain:4555
>POP3 Service started plain:110
>org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleException:
>Component named
>"smtpserver" failed to pass through the Initialization
>stage. (Reason: java.net.
>BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind).
>
>It goes on and on from here, but this is the important
>part. The thing is, I don't have anything running on port
>25. Can anyone help?
>
>Thanks,
>Michael.

>For additional commands, e-mail:
>james-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

Regards,

Joni

RE: Setup Problems

Posted by Vincent de Lau <vi...@delau.nl>.
Did you confirm that nothing was using port 25?

The easy way to check is to open a command prompt and type:

C:\>netstat -an

This gives a list of all ports open on your system, including the listening
ones:

Active Connections

  Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
  TCP    0.0.0.0:25             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:80             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING

If one of the lines is similar to the one on top of the example, you could
connect to that port using:

C:\>telnet 127.0.0.1 25

Idealy, an SMTP should identify itself. If not, something is using that port
for some other reason.

Vincent de Lau
 vincent@delau.nl