Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Eli Brumbaugh <el...@airbnb.com.INVALID> on 2018/12/21 00:56:19 UTC

Apache Superset - Design Operating System (please review, discuss and vote)

Hello world,

Airbnb and Lyft (design) recently had a conference call to discuss *Superset
design*.

In hindsight we should have announced this meeting to the Apache community
in advance. For that, I apologize. In the future we will ensure that it is
both *announced in advance* and *accessible* via *freely** available*
conference software such as Google Hangouts.

Below I will outline the topics we covered and the proposal we would like
to run past the community for *discussion and a vote*.

*Topics:*

   - Superset design system alignment and strategy.
   - Superset design operating model.
   - Next steps and action items.

*Superset Design Operating System (proposal to vote on)*

The goal of this operating system proposal is to standardize on *community
accessible* (design related) discussion, proposals, process and reviews.

   1. Ad hoc (*only minor*) design discussion will happen in the Apache
   Superset #design *community accessible* slack channel.
   2. Design changes to Apache Superset should be proposed through the
*community
   accessible* dev@superset.incubator.apache.org email alias for a vote.
   3. Apache Superset will be designed in Sketch
   <https://www.sketchapp.com/> (unlike Photoshop, there is no comparable
   free tool). Sketch files *community accessible* (for free) through Sketch
   Cloud <https://www.sketchapp.com/docs/sketch-cloud/>. Please note many
   companies use different design tools. For example we at Airbnb use Figma.
   However, Sketch and Figma are backwards compatible.
   4. When design changes are submitted to the Apache Superset repo they
   should be tagged with the *community accessible* 'design' tag.

*Two requests:*

   - If anyone is designing Superset in any a tool other than Sketch or
   Figma please let the community know so we can work to ensure compatibility
   and access.
   - If there are any other designers engaging with Superset (past, present
   or future) please add them to the thread know so we can ensure they have a
   voice.

*Attention:*

   - Superset design will reconvene at the end of January. Date, time and
   links will be shared with the Apache community in advance.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best,
Eli

--

Eli Sebastian Brumbaugh

Re: Apache Superset - Design Operating System (please review, discuss and vote)

Posted by Eli Brumbaugh <el...@airbnb.com.INVALID>.
Hi Jolly,

Thank you for your email.

That's exciting to hear you're working on a design system for Superset.

As Superset UI is decentralized the community will have to vote on what
gets added. With that said I'm excited to see what design improvements you
want to purpose adding.

Would you and Rasmiranjan be open to presenting in the next community
design sync? I'll be sending out an email today to purpose the next meeting
date.

As I mentioned to Rasmiranjan, there is a WIP effort to capture the
Superset UI (as it exists in code today) in Sketch allowing us to make it
publicly available. This seems like an opportunity for us to collaborate in
place of introducing "the" solution.

It sounds like we're all aligned on this serving the community!

I look forward to working with you both.

Best,
Eli

---

Hi Everyone,

     Intent of “Rasmiranjan” queries was that we were thinking of
introducing the “Design system” for superset. We have our own fork from
superset & we are doing lot of customisation in it, some will be generic
which we will contribute to open source & some will be specific to our
use-cases.

Having good history about design system & contact with right set of folks
is important so we can do something good which everyone can use.

Introducing design system will really help superset to be easy to customise
& theme in terms of UX.

We would like to be part of next design related discussions, it will be
helpful to everyone.

--

Posted by jo...@gmail.com, jo...@gmail.com.

Posted by Eli Brumbaugh <el...@airbnb.com.INVALID>.