Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/23 04:00:50 UTC

AOO questions on Google

I did a little summary of the questions posted so far on Google. The
attached file shows:
1. All of the questions ranked by net votes on the tab "net_votes"
2. The questions grouped into categories that I invented on the tab
"Categories"
3. On the third tab is a table showing the sum of positive votes for each
category.
The division into categories is certainly imperfect but it is an attempt to
show that some general topics produced several questions though no single
question was very popular. Here is a text version of the table summarizing
the positive votes by category

Address labels    9
Android    22
Apache    5
Bugs    31
Chart    9
Email    26
GUI    33
Java    17
LibreOffice    161
Mac    9
Macros    10
MS Office interoperability    54
Non-English    15
Other formats    54
Portable    19
Reports    9
Spellcheck    29
Tablet    14
User profile    14
Windows 7 & 8    43

"Other formats" captures questions about formats other than odt or MS
Office.
"Spellcheck" actually covers all language tools.
"Email" includes all topics about email, task tracking and similar uses.

There were 163 questions when I pulled the data and many don't fit into any
category.

A great many of the questions are very specific support questions and
nearly all recent questions are of that type. Support questions are
included in the categories above.

I hope some find this interesting.
Francis

Re: AOO questions on Google

Posted by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com>.
Here is a new file with data through today, similar to the last file but
slightly modified.
1. The raw imported data are on the first tab.
2. All of the questions ranked by net votes and labeled with categories are
on the tab "net_votes"
3. On the third tab is a table showing the sum of positive votes for each
category.
The division into categories is certainly imperfect but it is an attempt to
show that some general topics produced several questions though no single
question was very popular.
"Other formats" captures questions about formats other than odt or MS
Office.
"Spellcheck" has been replaced with "Language tools"
"Email" includes all topics about email, task tracking and similar uses.
I lumped together questions about tablets, Android and other operating
systems outside of the usual ones supported by AOO.
On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM, F C. Costero <fj...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I did a little summary of the questions posted so far on Google. The
> > > attached file shows:
> >
> > Thanks for the summary.  I was hoping we could collect questions for
> > the remainder of the month and then pick the top questions to answer
> > in a blog post.
> >
> > -Rob
> >

> I think this would be a good idea. This summary so far is VERY interesting
> though.

> MzK
>
> "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
>                                                                          --
> Aesop

Here is a new file with data through today, similar to the last file but
slightly modified.
1. The raw imported data are on the first tab.
2. All of the questions ranked by net votes and labeled with categories are
on the tab "net_votes"
3. On the third tab is a table showing the sum of positive votes for each
category.
The division into categories is certainly imperfect but it is an attempt to
show that some general topics produced several questions though no single
question was very popular.
"Other formats" captures questions about formats other than odf or MS
Office.
"Spellcheck" has been replaced with "Language tools"
"Email" includes all topics about email, task tracking and similar uses.
"Internationalization" covers questions about the support of particular
languages and a question about the AFS representing American imperialism.
I lumped together questions about tablets, Android and other operating
systems outside of the usual ones supported by AOO.
Many questions where given no category because they were very specific
support questions or were otherwise hard to label.
Best regards,
Francis

Re: AOO questions on Google

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO questions on Google

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: AOO questions on Google

Posted by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com>.
Since there is some interest in this particular topic, here are the 9
questions I categorized as MS Interoperability with the number of positive
votes appended to each in parentheses.
1. I tryed to save my word processor file as a MS Word file  only
extensions listed in the drop down were for text or Open Office, no Word
option.  Help function said I should have had that option in the drop down
under save as. version 3.4.1.
Could you add a converter for format MS .docx as the actual converter for
.doc does not work proper. It mix up text and drawings and make the whole
page a mess. (1)

2. hello,
How can i open openoffice file with microsoft office?
Gr Sam Esman (5)

3. What kind of OOXML support is intended in AOO?
Transitional (MS Word) version or ISO (does someone really implement it?).
(3)

4. If save filter is implemented, don't you fear a weakening of the ODF
then? (6)

5. allow open office to use ms office defaults (5)

6. can i install openoffice when i have microsoft office on my computer (4)

7. OpenOffice, should be able to open properly all 'Word office' files. (9)

8. Is open office compatible with Office 2010? (8)

9. Open Office doesn't handle tables in Word well - for example re-sizing
of columns, keeping table rows together, inserting page breaks within
tables. Could OO development include a goal of fully matching MS Office
functionality for tables? (13)

Re: AOO questions on Google

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

RE: AOO questions on Google

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
Concerning Microsoft Office interoperability, I suspect the absence of a way to save documents in OOXML formats is a detractor from Apache OpenOffice 3.4.  There are the usual interchange fidelity issues as well, depending on which interchangeable formats are used.

 - Dennis

Personally I asumed that LO would be #1, but I am amazed about #2 (MS
Office interoperability  and Other formats) I thought that was one of our
very strong sides. I might be worthwhile to look a bit deeper into that,
and see if the cause for the questions is in lack of features, lack of
documentation or someelse, to give a clue of what to do ? Maybe we can do
something with 4.0.

Jan I.

On 23 December 2012 04:00, F C. Costero <fj...@gmail.com> wrote:

[ ... ]