Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by "Dremin, Sergey" <Se...@comcast.com> on 2018/06/05 21:40:34 UTC

Add minimum caches field to deep routing logic

We should create an extension to the deep caching/deep routing field that will allow you to specify a minimum # of caches in a deep cache group for that deep cache group to be enabled for that DS.

Cache group size is proportional to caching efficiency. Having a configurable value for a minimum # of caches for a DS would allow to change the caching efficiency for that DS versus the routing efficiency (that comes with deep routing) for that DS.

Ideally this is something that is set based on current CDN performance.

  1.  A deep routing enabled DS with poor caching efficiency could use a bigger minimum size for a deep cache group.
  2.  A deep routing enabled DS with not sufficient deep routing usage, could use a smaller minimum size for a deep cache group.

Right now, we need to decide if we want to make this configurable or static. Since I think this will need to be configurable in the future anyway, so it a good idea to do it now.

This will require changes to TO/TP and traffic router.

Thoughts?

Re: Add minimum caches field to deep routing logic

Posted by "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <ef...@cisco.com>.
Hey Sergey-
  What is the problem that you are experiencing here?

 I understand what you are proposing, but am not sure why this is needed. I would find some more details very useful

Thanks,
Eric