Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com> on 2011/11/29 09:17:11 UTC

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Struts 3 should be version as follow:
- 3.0.0.1
- 3.0.1.1
- 3.1.0.1
- ....

?

Kind regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/
Warszawa JUG conference - Confitura http://confitura.pl/

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
2011/12/1 Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>:
> I've been silently following this thread :-) Here's my take...

;-)

> It would be inappropriate to rename packages in a minor version bump. I
> just think that defeats expectations for normal upgrades since minor point
> upgrades should be compatible with current code. On the other hand, moving
> to version 3 signals quite the upgrade! I am in favor of neither.
>
> I would actually prefer we call it Struts 2.5 so that you can rename such
> packages and escape providing pure backwards compatibility. So keep
> org.apache.struts2 and do whatever else package refactoring you need.

Maybe you're right, I was too excited about new possibilities and
maybe we should do it in smaller steps, the same as you did with
Struts 1.x
Anyway, renaming and dropping some plugins are still top priority IMHO.

Regards

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
I've been silently following this thread :-) Here's my take...

It would be inappropriate to rename packages in a minor version bump. I
just think that defeats expectations for normal upgrades since minor point
upgrades should be compatible with current code. On the other hand, moving
to version 3 signals quite the upgrade! I am in favor of neither.

I would actually prefer we call it Struts 2.5 so that you can rename such
packages and escape providing pure backwards compatibility. So keep
org.apache.struts2 and do whatever else package refactoring you need.

Paul

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.
> While I'm pretty sure that the discussion about branding vs. versioning
> hasn't come to any conclusion yet,
I agree, I had the same feeling

>I strongly disagree with the proposed
> versioning of at least four numbers, as I understand this here. I'd rather
> see it as
>
> 3.0.0
> 3.0.1
> 3.0.2 (Security problem detected)
> 3.0.2.1 (Fasttrack release)
> 3.0.3
> 3.1.0 (Fabulous new features and all exciting stuff, but API stability)
> 3.1.1
>
> The forth number is only for rare cases, usually each released version
> consists of three numbers.

And I also agree with this versioning schema

Twitter     :http://www.twitter.com/m_cucchiara
G+          :https://plus.google.com/107903711540963855921
Linkedin    :http://www.linkedin.com/in/mauriziocucchiara

Maurizio Cucchiara

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
2011/11/29 Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>:
> P1. Update "internal" injection to use current Guice.
> P2. Complete XWork subsumption.

Rename packages or something more ? Because I was planning to rename
packages before releasing 2.3.x, maybe even right now ;-)

> S1. Refactorings for further extensibility based on questions on the list,
> on CodeRanch, and Stack Overflow.

Would you collect all of them in one place (an issue) ?

Regards

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
To start with something

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Struts3Planning

Kind regards

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
2011/11/29 Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>:
> I was thinking about S3 over the weekend. (Hmm, my habit of abbreviating S2
> hits a snag with S3) and had a few thoughts.

I would like to add one more thing, conversion mechanism of primitive
types (and wrappers) - eg. double conversion doesn't respect Locale
settings

Kind regards

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Steven Benitez <st...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Dave's points as well as the need to discuss type conversion
going forward.

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
+1, I'm good with branching now.

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,
could we go into more depth?

> P1. Update "internal" injection to use current Guice.

You mean: replace the old DI engine (which is the predecessor of Guice)
with current Guice.
Do I understand correctly?
If yes, I'd vote for it, though at the moment I have no idea how much hard
could be that task :)

> P2. Complete XWork subsumption.

Do you mean change the package naming from com.opensymphony to
org.apache.struts
If yes, I agree.

In the past, someone talked about the possibility to merge the S2 core with
XWork.
In this case, I think that is good to have a separation of concerns.

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
I was thinking about S3 over the weekend. (Hmm, my habit of abbreviating S2
hits a snag with S3) and had a few thoughts.

Two main things for me, and one secondary.

P1. Update "internal" injection to use current Guice.
P2. Complete XWork subsumption.
S1. Refactorings for further extensibility based on questions on the list,
on CodeRanch, and Stack Overflow.

The Ps are fairly big undertakings; I've started to analyze some of them.
The refactorings are because some of the codebase is still fairly
monolithic and doesn't allow some fairly obvious things. The plugins in
particular come up fairly often (well, some of them).

d.

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Rene Gielen <re...@googlemail.com>.
While I'm pretty sure that the discussion about branding vs. versioning
hasn't come to any conclusion yet, I strongly disagree with the proposed
versioning of at least four numbers, as I understand this here. I'd rather
see it as

3.0.0
3.0.1
3.0.2 (Security problem detected)
3.0.2.1 (Fasttrack release)
3.0.3
3.1.0 (Fabulous new features and all exciting stuff, but API stability)
3.1.1

The forth number is only for rare cases, usually each released version
consists of three numbers.

- René

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
2011/11/29 Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>:
> Just for curiosity why do we need 4 numbers and not just 3?

To follow MAJOR.MINOR.MAINTENANCE.PATCH scheme, but we can stick with
3 numbers and the fourth (the first one) will always be equal to 3.

Regards

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
2011/11/29 Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>:
> Ack, my apologies. I thought we were talking about Struts 3, whereas it
> really would have been Struts 2 v 3.0. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, that's confuse me as well - Struts 2 ver. 3.0.0.1 :/

Kind regards

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.
2011/11/29 Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>

> 2011/11/29 Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>:
> > Woah - hold your horses, matey ! Did I miss something? Are we seriously
> > talking about a Struts 3?
>
> Why not ? Preparing a plan is always good (we don't have to follow it ;-) )

Ack, my apologies. I thought we were talking about Struts 3, whereas it
really would have been Struts 2 v 3.0. Sorry for the confusion.

--
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." -
Randy Pausch

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Deprecate 2.1 version

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.
2011/11/29 Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>

> Struts 3 should be version as follow:
> - 3.0.0.1
> - 3.0.1.1
> - 3.1.0.1
> - ....
>
> ?
>

> Kind regards
> --
> Łukasz
> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/
> Warszawa JUG conference - Confitura http://confitura.pl/

Woah - hold your horses, matey ! Did I miss something? Are we seriously
talking about a Struts 3?

- Phil