Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Ann Smyth <as...@concord.org> on 2004/06/01 15:47:56 UTC

starter questions

Hello!
Is this the correct email address to send Xindice questions to?
I am new to Xindice.  Is there any documentation on Xindice other than
what is up on the Apache website?  In particular, I am looking for
information on locking of data for updates, a way to do the equivalent of
an auto-increment field in a relational database and tips on how to best
structure the data in Xindice.  For example is it better to put each
"record" in its own file?
Below is a problem I am having with XUpdate:

I am having difficulties with the XUpdateQueryService.  I am trying to
follow the examples in the developer's Guide at:
 http://xml.apache.org/xindice/guide-developer.html
I am trying to create an application modeled on the Addressbook sample
application but with a slightly different data structure where I have
multiple person "records" in one file rather than each person in a
different file like the Addressbook. In this case, it would be best if I
could just update one element rather that remove the document and rewrite
it with the updated data as in the Addressbook application.
I am having trouble finding out about the format of the contents of the
String variable xupdate in the code fragment below:
XUpdateQueryService service = (XUpdateQueryService)
col.getService("XUpdateQueryService", "1.0");
service.update(xupdate);
I am unable to get to the reference for the examples at
http://www.xmldb.org/xupdate
Any suggestions???

Here's the error message:
org.apache.xindice.client.corba.db.APIException:
IDL:org/apache/xindice/client/c
orba/db/APIException:1.0
        at
org.apache.xindice.client.corba.db.APIExceptionHelper.read(APIExcepti
onHelper.java:112)
        at
org.apache.xindice.client.corba.db._CollectionStub.queryCollection(_C
ollectionStub.java:833)
        at
org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.services.XUpdateQueryServiceImpl.upda
teResult(XUpdateQueryServiceImpl.java:165)
        at
org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.services.XUpdateQueryServiceImpl.upda
te(XUpdateQueryServiceImpl.java:185)
        at Addressbook.EditContact.edit(EditContact.java:90)
        at Addressbook.Task.doPost(Task.java:142)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Appl
icationFilterChain.java:247)

Thanks!
Ann

Re: starter questions

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Ann Smyth wrote:

>Is this the correct email address to send Xindice questions to?
>I am new to Xindice.

Send your questions to xindice-user list.

>Is there any documentation on Xindice other than
>what is up on the Apache website?

There are links to mail list archives on the site.

>In particular, I am looking for
>information on locking of data for updates, a way to do the equivalent of
>an auto-increment field in a relational database and tips on how to best
>structure the data in Xindice.  For example is it better to put each
>"record" in its own file?

Depends; usually it's better to operate on multiple small XML documents
in one collection, so this probably means that each "record" goes into
its own "file".

>Below is a problem I am having with XUpdate:

>org.apache.xindice.client.corba.db.APIException:
>IDL:org/apache/xindice/client/c
>orba/db/APIException:1.0
>        at
>org.apache.xindice.client.corba.db.APIExceptionHelper.read(APIExcepti
>onHelper.java:112)

It seems you are using Xindice 1.0 with CORBA API; it's currently not
supported, and it is suggested to upgrade to the latest beta release. If
you want to stick with 1.0, check mail list archives - may be somebody
had similar problem.

Vadim