Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/19 05:17:59 UTC

[DICUSS] Project Description

Hi Folks,
This one is simple.. but has been on my mind for a while.
Gora is currently described as follows

The Apache Gora open source framework provides an in-memory data model and
persistence for big data. Gora supports persisting to column stores, key
value stores, document stores and RDBMSs, and analyzing the data with
extensive Apache Hadoop™ MapReduce support. Gora uses the Apache Software
License v2.0. Gora graduated from the Apache Incubator in January 2012 to
become a top-level Apache project.

Is this an accurate description of the project any more?
I remember that we fabricated this description when Chris Mattmann was
trying to push us through the Incubator however I am not so sure that this
adequately sums up what Gora is anymore... w have wider data store
support... even more in the pipeline and GSoC projects have taken us in
different directions as well...

wdy guys think?
Thanks

--
*Lewis*

Re: [DICUSS] Project Description

Posted by Renato Marroquín Mogrovejo <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I agree with Alfonso. We should describe what Gora is and not just what it
does.
On a lot of presentations an easy way to describe Gora to people is saying
that I like to think of Gora as the "JDBC for NoSQL" which is sort of true.
I mean we do provide object mapping capabilities, but we have a lot more
options than Hibernate, and we do similar stuff to Kiji[1], but we aim for
different things (they have (re)defined their own data specification
language, and have other cool features) as we try to support more than just
one data store. And of course, we still have our in-memory capabilities
that we have to explore in the future. According to [2]  Gora is a "Generic
Object Representation using Avro" or Dogacan's dog :)
So what is Gora? I guess it's different things for different people, but
the current definition really describes what we do:

"The Apache Gora open source framework provides an in-memory data model and
persistence for big data."

We could also say that Gora provides a data model abstraction of different
data stores and presents a simple KeyValue data model for all supported
data stores. But that is also what we do, and not what we are ;)
So I think we should work on our definition wording because it is correct,
but maybe doesn't sound as we want it to. And add Gora functionalities
because we have many!

Renato M.

[1] http://www.kiji.org/
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GORA-3

Posted by Alfonso Nishikawa <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
We have more data stores for sure but I believe integration with
MapReduce and in-memory data model for easy pluggable data access
layer via data stores would probably still the main purpose of the
project.

Lewis, any suggestion of how the project description should be updated
to reflect current state of Gora?

- Henry