Posted to netcat@netbeans.apache.org by mi...@owsiak.org on 2018/11/01 08:35:56 UTC

Re: Some of my thought regarding NetCAT 10

Hello Jiri, hello Alexander,

here are my thoughts.

> 1. Tickets in strange state
>
> The luxury of dedicated people paid by Sun/Oracle to pay attention to
> bugs, develop features, respond to e-mails and the like are gone. With
> the same argument statement "...the dev team cannot address each
> issue..." makes no sense because there is no dev team. The dev team is
> you.

I am afraid I support Alexander here. I bet there are people who have no idea how to code using Java, yet still use NetBeans (e.g. PHP, HTML, C/C++).

> Complaining about issues being ignored equals showing own
> misunderstanding how open source software development works. Good news
> is that you can filter the issues reported in October, trying to
> reproduce them one by one, adding your investigations and setting their
> status and/or priorities correctly. When do you plan to do that?

I also got impression (from what I have read on pages dedicated to the process) that we should focus on testing only.

But, at the same time, I agree with you, Jiri. If there are no dedicated developers anymore (I mean, people who are actually paid for developing NetBeans), then, solving issues lays on volunteers and I won't raise this kind of objections (not tackling the issues in Jira). Simply, the landscape of NetBeans has changed and I need to adapt to it.

> 2. Tribe leaders are useless
>
> I am afraid I disagree. True tribe leaders are precious asset for
> NetCAT. They simply act as managers, communicating with their tribe
> members, finding their strengths/weaknesses, then distributing the work
> load, periodically checking the status/progress, reminding about
> incomplete tasks, triaging issues, escalating the most serious ones to
> the NetCAT program coordinators, organizing meetups, etc. If these do
> not exist, everything falls on plates of NetCAT program coordinators
> which are obviously overloaded which leaves NetCAT participants with
> impression of chaos, ignorance or frustration.

OK, maybe it's still happening, maybe all these activities are still taking place, but, to be honest, I haven't seen that this time that much.

I remember older editions of NetCAT, with weekly reports summarizing activities, providing information to whole team, so it knew where it was standing at any, given, time. So, this time, I thought that NetCAT was targeted more towards solo players who want to decide for themselves how to update docs, what to choose for testing, etc. Which, in fact, suits me better :)

Michal

Re: Some of my thought regarding NetCAT 10

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Well, you can specify that in your response.

Gj

Posted by Sasha Alexander Romanenko <tm...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for quick fix :)
Survey completed.

пт, 2 нояб. 2018 г. в 11:45, Geertjan Wielenga

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Fixed that too.

Try again, sorry. ;-)

Gj

Posted by Sasha Alexander Romanenko <tm...@gmail.com>.
Very good, thanks :)

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sasha Alexander Romanenko <tm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sasha Alexander Romanenko <tm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sasha Alexander Romanenko <tm...@gmail.com>.

AW: Some of my thought regarding NetCAT 10

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
I have to agree with Sasha. I understand Geertjan what you want but
that's what we have the CA survey for. Everyone can point out which
issues are the "world-would-be-better" ones for them. We just need to
wait for the responses.

And as for "netcat-10" labels I am afraid it's not a good idea too. Or
are we going to ignore bugs which were not filed by NetCAT participants,
because we consider them less qualified/relevant? I hope not.

-Jirka

Posted by Sasha Alexander Romanenko <tm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Alexander Romanenko <al...@alex-tech-adventures.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Why do we need such filter?

Posted by Leo Donahue <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for the work in identifying the most serious problems coming out of
NetCAT.

My feeling is we're not going to be able to fix these specific items for
this specific release, most seem to be difficult to reproduce, we should
explicitly list these, and we should continue to monitor them and
prioritize them for fixing -- we do have developers working on adding new
features and fixing bugs, the question is always going to be how to
effectively identify items to be fixed and how to match those items with
the developers experienced in those specific related areas.

Gj

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Can we have the ... part?