Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Manos Batsis <ma...@geekologue.com> on 2008/04/29 13:59:46 UTC

Plugin warning (was: Re: [POLL] Default Value for File Encoding)

Benjamin Bentmann wrote:
e the two possible directions to go:

> a) Use the current platform encoding, aka the system property
>   "file.encoding".
>
> b) Use a static/fixed value that is defined by convention, i.e. is not
>   platform-dependent.

My vote is certainly b. However and IMHO, plugins that get the change
should implement some API for Maven to be aware of their conformance and
output a warning during the build in the case of a non-conforming plugin.

As an example to make up for my havent_had_coffee_yet english, this
could be easily done by adding something like this in 2.1's AbstractMojo:

public boolean isSourceEncodingAware(){
	return false;
}

Maven could check all plugins at an early build stage and output a
warning for the non-conforming ones. Plugin builders should be
responsible of both overriding this and ensuring their code reads files
properly.

Cheers,

Manos