Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mikael St�ldal <mi...@home.se> on 2001/06/29 10:51:26 UTC

Why XSP?

What is the need for XSP? Why not use XSLT with extensions instead?

Re: Why XSP?

Posted by Frans Thamura <ft...@yahoo.com>.
Yah, after I try Cocoon 2, I prefer  XSP still with XML extension. like
cocoon 1.82.

and advance the feature like create a lot of logicsheet references

like cinclude, session naming space is good, why in Cocoon 2 change to
xspsession

Strange yah..

RE: Why XSP?

Posted by Leigh Dodds <ld...@ingenta.com>.
Actually thats not quite what the original poster was asking.

You're correct in that XSLT is for transforms, and XSP compares
favourably with JSP.

However you can extend XSLT using extension functions and elements,
thereby adding to its capabilities. So with XSLT alone you *do* have
a way to invoke arbitrary code during your transforms (although you
should take care not to introduce side-effects).

That said, XSP generates compiled classes, whereas most XSLT
processors don't do anything similar; although the Sun Translet
technology does go someway towards this.

The advantage of XSP is mainly its a cleaner form of JSP, the layering
seems better defined, and the syntax easier to read.

The other advantage of XSP over XSLT is that it exposes the HTTP
environment (i.e. the same info as in JSP/servlets), whereas you'd
have to produce some custom implementation to achieve that with
XSLT alone.

HtH,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds, Systems Architect       | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"

RE: Why XSP?

Re: Why XSP?

Posted by Mohamed Ramzy <m_...@yahoo.com>.
hi
XSLT is just for transforming, but XSP, think about it
as your gateway to include any java code in ur file,
or importing any custom/not java class/classes to your
file...it is the gate!!
--- Mikael St�ldal <mi...@home.se> wrote:
> What is the need for XSP? Why not use XSLT with
> extensions instead?

> <co...@xml.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <co...@xml.apache.org>

=====
Mohamed Ramzy Zakaria, Graduate Research student
School of Computer Science & Information Technology
Jubilee Campus, Nottingham University
Nottingham, UK
TEL: 00 44 (0)115 84 66529
MOB: 00 44 (0)7947105251