Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mike Perham <Mi...@webifysolutions.com> on 2006/04/12 01:10:19 UTC

best practices for setting up a stable build process?

I'm attempting to create the build process for our next release.  We
have an m2 build repository for the current release which we built by
hand (i.e. downloaded every file by hand from central and examined it to
ensure consistency).

I'm trying to do something a little more realistic this time - I've
configuring a master POM with our build and reporting plugins in it.  I
then clear out my local repository, compile those plugins which require
the latest version, run the full build to pull down everything else and
then save that repository as the "master".  Unfortunately this does not
seem to work.  I place the master repo copy on our repo server, update
my settings to make it "central", clear my local repository (so it will
pull down everything from the master) and run the build (mvn clean
install site:site).  It immediately fails, saying it can't locate the
clean plugin.  -U and -up don't seem to have any effect.

I have all the distributionManagement and repository settings in the POM
pointing to the master.  The clean plugin is there in the master repo
but I assume there is something missing in the metadata?  And is there
any better or more mechanical way of doing what I am trying to do?  I
assume others have had to do the same thing with their build processes.

mike

Re: best practices for setting up a stable build process?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Mike Perham wrote:

> I have all the distributionManagement and repository settings in the POM
> pointing to the master.  The clean plugin is there in the master repo
> but I assume there is something missing in the metadata?  And is there
> any better or more mechanical way of doing what I am trying to do?  I
> assume others have had to do the same thing with their build processes.

You need the maven-metadata.xml files to accompany the artifacts in
order for that directory structure to function as a remote repository.

I actually just added something to the assembly to create a repository
structure that you can deploy, I have a local change here to write out
the metadata as well. I created these:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-80
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-81

When that's in then you can probably use that to create a working
repository easily. I'll try to whack that in later tonight.

> mike

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

  -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition