Posted to announce@apache.org by Robin Anil <ro...@apache.org> on 2010/03/18 08:37:05 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Mahout 0.3 Released

> Apache Mahout <http://lucene.apache.org/mahout> 0.3 has been released and
is now available for public

> download at http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/mahout

Up-to-date maven artifacts can be found in the Apache repository at

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/mahout/

Apache Mahout is a subproject of Apache Lucene with the goal of

> delivering scalable machine learning algorithm implementations under

> the Apache license. http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Mahout is a machine learning library meant to scale: Scale in terms of

> community to support anyone interested in using machine learning.

> Scale in terms of business by providing the library under a

> commercially friendly, free software license. Scale in terms of

> computation to the size of data we manage today.

Built on top of the powerful map/reduce paradigm of the Apache Hadoop

> project, Mahout lets you solve popular machine learning problem

> settings like clustering, collaborative filtering and classification

> over Terabytes of data over thousands of computers.

Implemented with scalability in mind the latest release brings many

> performance optimizations so that even in a single node setup the

> library performs well.

The complete changelist can be found here:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT/fixforversion/12314281

New Mahout 0.3 features include:

  * New math and collections modules based on the high performance Colt
library.

>   * Faster Frequent Pattern Growth (FPGrowth) using FP-bonsai pruning

>   * Parallel Dirichlet process clustering (a model-based clustering
algorithm)

>   * Parallel co-occurrence based recommender

>   * Parallel text document to vector conversion using LLR based ngram
generation

>   * Parallel Lanczos SVD (Singular Value Decomposition) solver

>   * Shell scripts for easier running of algorithms, utilities and examples

>   * ...and much much more: code cleanup, many bug fixes and

> performance improvements

Getting started: New to Mahout?

   * Download Mahout at http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/mahout

For more information on Apache Mahout, see http://lucene.apache.org/mahout