Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/08 10:18:52 UTC

#Hacktoberfest : Please check with the existing #Hacktoberfest issues before making a PR

Hello,

I am trying to keep in sync the #Hacktoberfest issues on
https://github.com/emilianbold/incubator-netbeans/issues and the wiki on
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/List+of+Modules+to+Review
.

Since I have to do this manually and PRs happen even during the night I am
getting out of sync sometimes and then I notice that we have 2 PRs for the
same module.

So, please try to help out with the #Hacktoberfest issue by commenting on
the issues and PRs. Or, at least, make sure your module doesn't already
have a PR open!

The way I see it, #Hacktoberfest is a good chance to bring in new people
into the community and gain some good will so it must be a downer for some
new contributor to see me reject his/her PR because somebody else beat him
to it.

PS: Now that I'm doing this both ways, I believe GitHub issues + PRs is
superior to the wiki. With a bit more structure we could have *generated*
the review based on commit comments alone.

--emi

Re: #Hacktoberfest : Please check with the existing #Hacktoberfest issues before making a PR

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Mmmm... I don't think it's a good idea.

I think Hacktoberfest is a great idea and widens the awareness of the
project and the sense of participation. Those are Good Thinks, IMHO.

Let's assume someone chooses libs.jaxb, for instance. That has an
external directory to be reviewed. If the participant does not want to
review the external directory stuff then just let him commit to your
repository and tell me.

I will then open a branch in my repository and will let you make a pull
request against that branch, so I'll review the external directory, add
the maven stuff, and then will submit to Apache's.

Does that make sense?

Un abrazo,
Antonio

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.