Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org> on 2013/08/24 02:26:09 UTC

HBaseAdmin.getCompactionState feature

Hi there,

Quick question. What are we expecting for HBaseAdmin.getCompactionState?

>From the javadoc:
Get the current compaction state of a table or region.It could be in a
major compaction, a minor compaction, both, or none.

However, this is causing an issue on
HBASE-9328<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-9328>
.

Why? Because when a region is splitting, RegionServer will return
"NotServingRegionException: Region is not online" and then
HBaseAdmin.getCompactionState will throw an expection.

I think this need to be catch. If the region is splitting or offline, then
it's not compacting. So we should not return an exception from
HBaseAdmin.getCompactionState because a region is currently offline.

Does anyone have any objection with that?

JM

Re: HBaseAdmin.getCompactionState feature

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Forget it. It's already the case...

Then I don't understand where the stack from 9328 is coming from... I will
look at that deeper...

JM