Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2013/02/06 06:39:12 UTC

[lucy-dev] Book Club notes 2013-02-05

Greets,

Miscellaneous notes following up the meeting of the Apache Lucy Book Club
on February 5, 2013...

Ulrich Drepper's paper on shared libaries:

    Ulrich Drepper
    How To Write Shared Libraries
    http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/dsohowto.pdf

The "category killer" book on information theory, available from Amazon for
four bux as either paperback or Kindle:

    John R. Pierce
    An Introduction to Information Theory
    Symbols, Signals and Noise
    http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Information-Theory-Symbols-Signals/dp/0486240614

The thread on general@hadoop.a.o where Doug Cutting proposed Avro:

    http://markmail.org/message/7cgrwoc4er4mr3bp

Lucy's STATUS document describing TODO items, badly in need of updating:

    https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucy.git;a=blob_plain;f=STATUS;hb=HEAD

I've been working out how to have Clownfish objects extend Perl SVs on the wiki:

    http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/MarvinScratch

    struct cfish_Obj {
        void *sv_any;
        U32   sv_refcnt;
        U32   sv_flags;
        union { void *ptr; IV iv; } sv_union;
        cfish_VTable *vtable;
    };

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] Book Club notes 2013-02-05

Posted by Logan Bell <lo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Marvin,

I've been enjoying participating in the book club meetings, and
through the various tangential conversations I feel like I'm getting a
better handle on some of the internals of Lucy.

The one thing that you mentioned below is the sad state the STATUS
file, and to be perfectly honest I have actually never looked at the
file until probably now. I'm wondering if there is a better way to
keep todos organized? Further it looks like the STATUS file has become
out of sync with the JIRA issue tracker.

Also, just looking over our issue tracker it would appear Lucy has no
todos: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY. I guess more
correctly "popular todos", which according to this page need to be
voted on. I'd be willing to generate a list of open/pending todos and
perhaps get consensus on which ones should appear in the popular
portion of our issue tracker for would be developers to glean over.

Just opening up this chain for further discussion, since I think
getting this organized might help others get more involved.

Thanks,
Logan