Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/31 01:32:12 UTC

[VOTE] Adopt Java 1.5 as the minimum Java release for ManifoldCF

Please have a look at CONNECTORS-203 and vote +1 if you think it's
time to move beyond Java 1.4 at the source level, to Java 1.5.  I did
some work on this over the weekend and managed to convince myself that
a migration to a newer Java version will have no obvious ill effects.
But I'd like your thoughts.

Especially interesting will be whether or not we try to maintain
backwards compatibility in the connector interfaces: IConnector,
IRepositoryConnector, IAuthorityConnector, and IOutputConnector.  I
have some ideas how I could bring these into the modern world in a
relatively painless manner, should the community require it.  But I'd
like to hear your views as to whether we *should* work towards that
end, or be willing to disrupt our early adopters in this process.

Karl

[RESULT][VOTE] Adopt Java 1.5 as the minimum Java release for ManifoldCF

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Although it hasn't been the quite required 3 days, this vote isn't
binding anyway, so I'm going to declare it closed and commit the code.

Karl

Re: [VOTE] Adopt Java 1.5 as the minimum Java release for ManifoldCF

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1 (already voted on the issue)
Tommaso

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp>.

Posted by Erlend Garåsen <e....@usit.uio.no>.
+1. I have missed Java generics when I have worked with the MCF code, so
this sounds great. I think the connector factories also can be
simplified by using generics, especially when I'm thinking about
CONNECTORS-180.

Erlend

--
Erlend Garåsen