Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/21 09:19:33 UTC

Statements from Qpid mentors would help me decide... [WAS Re: [VOTE] Apache Qpid Graduation as TLP]

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:

>  Qpid entered into the incubator November 2006, and has made releases, is
>  in the
>  process of closing down another minor release and well on the way to the
>  next
>  major release, added new committers, and cleaned up Karma prior to
>  graduation
>  vote.
>
>  At this point the Apache Qpid community with support from its mentors
>  feels that
>  it is ready to graduate to an official top level project at Apache

i'm a little bit in two minds about this...

i have lurked on the list from time-to-time and have been impressed. i
think that TLP is the right destination and that QPID will be an good
addition one day.

but another voice asks: are they really ready today? has the IPMC
fully equipped them for the chanlleges ahead? do they really
understand how to mentor new independent developers into committers
and PMCers? is the diversity sufficient to have learnt how to have
disagreements on technical matters whilst retaining community spirit?

right or wrong, i'm not completely convinced right now...

- robert

Re: Statements from Qpid mentors would help me decide... [WAS Re: [VOTE] Apache Qpid Graduation as TLP]

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Matthieu,

On Sunday 23 March 2008, Matthieu Riou wrote:
> Robert Godfrey doesn't seem to be working for either company. I also
> haven't found any affiliation for Rupert Ls Smith but you seem to be
> pretty good at finding them so maybe you (or somebody else) have an
> idea? Both have been committing regularly and recently.

Unfortunately, the link to the amqp.0-10.pdf:
https://jira.amqp.org/confluence/download/attachments/720900/amqp.0-10.pdf?version=1
seems to be down right now.   The pdf lists both Godfrey and Smith as
JPMC.

The source for that section of the PDF, however, can be seen at:
https://svn.amqp.org/amqp/trunk/amqp_spec/preface.xml

Thus, from that, it looks like while working on/reviewing the AMQP spec,
they do represent JPMC.  Since qpid is implementing the AMQP spec......

Now,that said, that list could be out of date.  They might no longer have
any affiliation with JPMC.  A couple of the IONA folks listed no longer
work for IONA so it's quite possible.   I can only report what I see.
I'd LOVE to be proven wrong.  That said, both are recent additions to
the list (they aren't in the 0-9 version, but are in the latest 0-10
version).

> There are also a few Iona developers and one WSO2 guy (sorry Paul, I'm
> not counting you ;) ) on the initial proposal, did they stop working
> on the project?

Pretty much.  I know Vinoski was committing some stuff (mostly maven
build system stuff that has since been ripped out) but specifically
stopped when he left IONA.  I also was helping with Maven related
questions/issues (I subscribe to qpid-dev) until the maven stuff was
removed.   Not sure about the other IONA folks.

Dan

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Statements from Qpid mentors would help me decide... [WAS Re: [VOTE] Apache Qpid Graduation as TLP]

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Sunday 23 March 2008, Marnie McCormack wrote:
> All,
>
> If I have understood correctly the legal process which we've followed
> to join the Apache project, then I am 'legally independent' as are
> several of the other Qpid committers under discussion, as I have
> signed an ICLA and am personally responsible/liable for all of my
> contributions to Qpid.
>
> If this is not the spirit of the rule then I think it'd be better
> stated in different terms to make it clearer and this debate less
> subjective perhaps.

Directly from the graduation checklist:  (which, BTW, Qpid has not filled
out.   That's another issue, albiet a minor one.)

The legal definition of independent is long and boring, but basically it
means that there is no binding relationship between the individuals,
such as a shared employer, that is capable of overriding their free will
as individuals, directly or indirectly.

Dan

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

RE: Statements from Qpid mentors would help me decide... [WAS Re: [VOTE] Apache Qpid Graduation as TLP]

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Btw I'm not a great fan of insinuations that people voluntarily hide their
> affiliations. If you have any material evidence then provide them,
otherwise
> I'd rather you keep those remarks for yourself.

+1

A matter of fact claim about what an affiliation appears to be is different
from a conjecture as to intent.

	--- Noel

Re: Statements from Qpid mentors would help me decide... [WAS Re: [VOTE] Apache Qpid Graduation as TLP]

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Marnie McCormack
<ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
>  If I have understood correctly the legal process which we've followed to
>  join the Apache project, then I am 'legally independent' as are several of
>  the other Qpid committers under discussion, as I have signed an ICLA and am
>  personally responsible/liable for all of my contributions to Qpid.
>
>  If this is not the spirit of the rule then I think it'd be better stated in
>  different terms to make it clearer and this debate less subjective perhaps.

most apache processes are democractic (in the greek sense): in the
end, it's a VOTE. apache relies on social reputational pressure and
public records to keep the electorate straight but there are
subjective elements which individuals balance in different ways. most
rules arise from consensus and record how we choose to bind ourselves.
it's sometimes a little hard to adjust to this. there's also a high
degree of chance involve which (if this were a contest) would be
unfair. the subjective personal criteria each IPMCer applies tends to
change with time as we try to evolve, improve and grow.

it's interesting to note that i have exactly the same (good) opinion
of qpid as stated by the mentors: i just need to mull over whether the
IPMC has done enough...

>  For what its worth, Qpid has attracted several other independent committers
>  since project inception. Somewhat unfortunately, after making significant
>  contribution, they're all tied up with their 'day job' commitments at the
>  moment (from the pre-graduation karma discussions on our list).
>
>  Speaking of the Apache way, I don't much enjoy being singled out for
>  personal discussion.

+1

IMO if necessary at all, any discussions of individuals should have
happened on private lists

but it is good to see qpid developers posting to this thread...

> The position of some of the committers on this project
>  is, by necessity, what it is. It's not some Machiavellian attempt to subvert
>  the process, truly.

:-)

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
All,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Friday 21 March 2008, Paul Fremantle wrote:
> Yoav
>
> I have to say I think you have given a very good analysis. I think
> that QPid has come a huge way towards Apacheness. Diversity is not as
> great as it could be but meets the Incubator criteria.

Huh?  The graduation guide says "there are at least 3 legally independent
committers" and I don't see that with Qpid.   EVERY committer (except
for the 2 mentors) on the qpid status page [1] can easily be traced to
be associated with either RedHat or JP Morgan Chase.   For example, if
you check the credits page of the AMQP 0-10 spec [2] and look at the
credits page (page xi), it associates EVERYONE on the list to either
RedHat or JPMC except for:
Jim Meyering
Marnie McCormack
Nuno Santos
And you can trace those three from:
Marnie McCormack - original qpid proposal [3]
Nuno Santos - Linked in profile [4]
Jim Meyering - Other redhad stuff [5]

Thus, with 100% of the committers directly associated with just 2
companies, I DON'T feel that it meets the Incubator criteria of 3.  Yes,
they've done a good job trying to hide their affiliations.  But the fact
remains that the affiliations are there and can be found with very
little work.   I tried to get the community to clarify the above duing
the discussions, but they didn't address it at all, or at least to my
satisfaction.

IMO, if there is even a question of diversity at all, that warrants a -1.
From my experience, there isn't a compelling reason to speed them out of

<cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >  >  At this point the Apache Qpid community with support from its
> > >  > mentors feels that
> > >  >
> >  >  >  it is ready to graduate to an official top level project at
> >  >  > Apache
> > >
> > >  but another voice asks: are they really ready today? has the IPMC
> > >
> >  >  fully equipped them for the chanlleges ahead? do they really
> >  >  understand how to mentor new independent developers into
> >  > committers and PMCers? is the diversity sufficient to have learnt
> >  > how to have disagreements on technical matters whilst retaining
> >  > community spirit?
> >
> >  It's a hard call for me as well.  The technical bits are all there,
> >  processes followed, paperwork filed, etc.  More importantly, the
> > qpid community has been open, receptive to feedback from everyone
> > inside and outside their group, welcoming to new opinions from new
> > people, and respectful of ASF spirit, not just its letter.  There
> > are disagreements and debates on various technical matters without
> > hurting the community.  That's why I support their graduation.
> >
> >  It would have been really nice if one or two more committers from
> > new organizations had been added during the previous few months, but
> > that didn't happen.  But I don't think the fact the committers come
> > from a small set of organizations necessarily means there's no
> > diversity. And I don't want to introduce artificial requirements.
> > The "are they really ready" question is subjective by definition,
> > and it's a good one, but I still vote +1 ;)
> >
> >  Yoav

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Statements from Qpid mentors would help me decide... [WAS Re: [VOTE] Apache Qpid Graduation as TLP]

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Yoav

I have to say I think you have given a very good analysis. I think
that QPid has come a huge way towards Apacheness. Diversity is not as
great as it could be but meets the Incubator criteria. I support the
QPid graduation because I think that QPid is doing the right things in
the right way, and I have offered to join the PPMC to continue
offering advice in the future.

Paul

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Yoav Shapira <yo...@yoavshapira.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
>  <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >  >  At this point the Apache Qpid community with support from its mentors feels that
>  >  >  it is ready to graduate to an official top level project at Apache
>  >

> >  but another voice asks: are they really ready today? has the IPMC
>  >  fully equipped them for the chanlleges ahead? do they really
>  >  understand how to mentor new independent developers into committers
>  >  and PMCers? is the diversity sufficient to have learnt how to have
>  >  disagreements on technical matters whilst retaining community spirit?
>
>  It's a hard call for me as well.  The technical bits are all there,
>  processes followed, paperwork filed, etc.  More importantly, the qpid
>  community has been open, receptive to feedback from everyone inside
>  and outside their group, welcoming to new opinions from new people,
>  and respectful of ASF spirit, not just its letter.  There are
>  disagreements and debates on various technical matters without hurting
>  the community.  That's why I support their graduation.
>
>  It would have been really nice if one or two more committers from new
>  organizations had been added during the previous few months, but that
>  didn't happen.  But I don't think the fact the committers come from a
>  small set of organizations necessarily means there's no diversity.
>  And I don't want to introduce artificial requirements.  The "are they
>  really ready" question is subjective by definition, and it's a good
>  one, but I still vote +1 ;)
>
>  Yoav

Paul Fremantle
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Statements from Qpid mentors would help me decide... [WAS Re: [VOTE] Apache Qpid Graduation as TLP]

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
I am not going to argue this either way, as this is mostly subjective. I
will point out that Qpid does have a steady stream of people that are
not associated with any of the existing committiers including some new
folks starting to provide patches as recently as last week. This would
indicate to me that the Qpid comminuty will continue to grow. Thank you
for your consideration in our Graduation.

regards
Carl

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@yoavshapira.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Carl Trieloff wrote:
>
>  > Thanks for the input -- we will be back :-)

great :-)

(after reading the entire thread, i was very close to +1'ing)

>  > At this point we have decided to abandon the vote
>
>  Carl, I do hope that the community is taking this in a positive manner.  I
>  sincerely believe that the majority of us are actually very pleased with the
>  QPid community,

+1

definitely

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Apache Qpid Graduation as TLP

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Carl Trieloff wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the input -- we will be back :-)
>> At this point we have decided to abandon the vote
>
> Carl, I do hope that the community is taking this in a positive manner.  I
> sincerely believe that the majority of us are actually very pleased with the
> QPid community, but are all doing our due diligence to ensure that
> diversity, something we really believe is necessary for community health, is
> achieved.

Personal and work issues have gotten in the way of my chiming in on this
thread, but I concur with Noel.  It actually sounds like we are very close,
once several of the current contributors become PPMC (and proposed initial
PMC) members.

RE: [VOTE] Apache Qpid Graduation as TLP

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
-1