Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Jeremy Villalobos <je...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/06 06:42:35 UTC

pdfbox for android

I've done a few (1.6, 1.7) ports of pdfbox to Android just for text
extraction.  I am thinking I could port pdfbox 1.8 fully to Android Jelly
Bean.

I would like to first check with the community to make sure no one else is
already working on this, in which case I would tag along to an existing
project.

You can review one of the open source port (apache 2.0) of pdfbox at
https://code.google.com/p/pdftospeech/

That project is dead, the new project would be hosted on GitHub.com

Thanks for any pointers
--
Jeremy Villalobos
Practical Android Apps

Re: pdfbox for android

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi Jeremy,

one of the ideas of PDFBox 2.0 will be to refactor in order to remove dependencies such as awt for text extraction and  modularize PDFBox so one could use only the modules needed and keep the memory and dependencies to a minimum. It would be good - based on your experience - to share what might be necessary to support a port to Android. Ideally there shouldn't be much work to be done to  support text extraction on Android after we have reached the goals for PDFBox 2.0.

Please keep in mind that - although some of the work has been started - there isn't a defined set for PDFBox yet but ideas. http://pdfbox.apache.org/ideas.html

BR

Maruan Sahyoun