Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Steve Eynon <st...@alienfactory.co.uk> on 2009/04/15 04:34:03 UTC

[T5.1.0.2] / [T5.1.0.3] BlackBird Info Logging

Hiya,

The Tapestry js object has debug, warn and error logging methods to
BlackBird but no info logging. Is this due to design because the
logging methods are only supposed to be used by Tapestry internal
components (and hence not yet required)? Or maybe an wee oversight?

Personally, I'm excited at the idea of having BlackBird bundled with
T5 and would love to utilise it fully.

On a related note, when I send messages to BlackBird via the js
Tapestry.debug() method it seems to pop up the BlackBird console
window regardless of  whether I'm in productionMode or not. Is this
the desired behaviour? Or again, am I not supposed to use the Tapestry
js logging methods myself?

Regards,

Steve.

Re: [T5.1.0.2] / [T5.1.0.3] BlackBird Info Logging

Posted by Steve Eynon <st...@alienfactory.co.uk>.
2009/4/24 Blower, Andy <An...@proquest.co.uk>:
>> Any time a message, of any category, is added, Blackbird will popup (by
>> design).
>
> This surprises me, I also assumed that (since it's a development/debugging tool) the console would be disabled in production mode. I'd be very interested to hear other people's opinion on this.

What this means to me, is that after I've carefully constructed all my
debug logging calls I have to go and delete them before the code goes
live. It's like hunting down System.out's all over again!

For lower level logging calls (say debug and info) I don't see why you
would want the console popping up in production mode.

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Steve Eynon
<st...@alienfactory.co.uk> wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> The Tapestry js object has debug, warn and error logging methods to
> BlackBird but no info logging. Is this due to design because the
> logging methods are only supposed to be used by Tapestry internal
> components (and hence not yet required)? Or maybe an wee oversight?
>
> Personally, I'm excited at the idea of having BlackBird bundled with
> T5 and would love to utilise it fully.

Add an issue to JIRA, or monkey-patch tapestry.js directly.

> On a related note, when I send messages to BlackBird via the js
> Tapestry.debug() method it seems to pop up the BlackBird console
> window regardless of  whether I'm in productionMode or not. Is this
> the desired behaviour? Or again, am I not supposed to use the Tapestry
> js logging methods myself?

Any time a message, of any category, is added, Blackbird will popup (by design).

> Regards,
>
> Steve.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry
Director of Open Source Technology at Formos