Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com> on 2008/04/02 08:18:03 UTC

Dojo plugin update using 1.1.0 framework

[I'm posing this via nabble because the apache mail servers are saying my
last 3 attempts to send this via my normal mailbox are spam :(]

All,

I have a barely tested version of the dojo plug-in which uses Dojo 1.1
instead of 0.4.3.

The two main changes that were necessary were;

* baseRelativePath replaced by baseUrl to reflect changes in dojo API
* parseContent removed due to removal from dojo API.

By barely tested I mean it passes the inbuilt maven tests (after they've
been modified due to the changes above), so I would appreciate anyone else's
help in either checking this into subversion so can start to be official, or
grab it, thrash it, and discuss problems here so we can get it into a state
fit for S2.1

If you want to download the source with svn directories you can from
http://www.alsutton.com/dojo_1_1_0_for_2_1_1.zip

Thanks,

Al.

Re: Dojo plugin update using 1.1.0 framework

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
Dave,

I don't think anyone does have a good handle on how much work it would be to
integrate Dojo 1.0 into the S2.1 tag framework. It's one of those things
that the time taken to properly evaluate and estimate the work necessary may
be longer than the time to do the work, and even when the work is under way
there may be some unforeseen issues even if an estimate was made. The Dojo
guys have tried to make it easier by providing an api change list from 0.4
to 0.9 then from 0.9 to 1.0, but how that applies to the S2.1 code is
something that will only make sense to someone who has the code fresh in
their mind.

This is why I started to work on the changes and kept the code as a separate
entity, that way if it does prove to be a mountain rather than a molehill
there's nothing being held up, and if it turns out to be a molehill then we
get all the benefits of supporting, matured code with a smaller footprint in
a short period of time.

Al.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
Given the discussion, how about the following idea;

- Remove the dojo plug-in from the S2 codebase and put it, in it's current
state, into a googlecode project.

My main driver for doing the updates was to update the S2.1 code to bring it
inline with the latest version, but perhaps we should put our hands up and
admit that S2's focus is not on Ajax UI widgets and recommend that web
developers go out and use whichever framework they want as opposed to
limiting them to the choice made by the tag developers. After all, there is
little in the way of S2.1 code for ajax, all we have is some code that acts
as a wrapper to make dojo look like it's part of S2.

We can put in the readme a pointer to the googlecode project, and see how it
develops from there.

What do people think?

Al.

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

> On the other hand, creating the project in the Struts sandbox means that it
> is immediately open to any Struts committer, all of the resources are
> already set up, and getting a release out is dependent only upon a vote to
> move the code from the sandbox to the main code line. I'd say that path will
> be a whole lot less hassle - unless, that is, you expect the Dojo 1.x plugin
> to be a major project that requires additional committers and spans an
> extended period of time to get into shape equivalent to that of today's Dojo
> plugin.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper

I agree transition from googlecode back into Apache is an important
consideration and a googlecode decision should be made only after we
understand the level of effort involved.

My gut feeling is that a complete Dojo 1.x plugin requires significant
effort and additional committers. Others would know better than me
though.  Do you have a contact over at the Dojo that :
  - is familiar with the current Struts Dojo capabilities and can give
an indication of the effort to migrate to 1.x; or
  - more importantly, confirm whether recreating custom tags is a
sensible approach at all.

It may be better for both projects that we make a concerted effort to
demonstrate dojo + struts integration rather than creating another
plugin that encapsulates Dojo.

Re: Dojo plugin update using 1.1.0 framework

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Karr, David" <da...@wamu.net>.

I also feel strongly that this direction holds the best long-term value.
However, I don't believe that Dojo and YUI and others like it should
just be ignored by Struts2 and others like it.  In fact, the server-side
frameworks should embrace and facilitate the combination, either with
light integration interfaces, or simply with good documentation and
examples that describes how to combine them effectively.

Re: Dojo plugin update using 1.1.0 framework

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
Dave Newton wrote:

> Nutshell: what's anybody's take on the effort this would require, and who's
> available to make that effort?

I share similar sentiment and at most will just be able to convert my
existing 2.1.1 test applications over to use the Dojo 1.x plugin to
investigate the consequences.

I've concluded that tag libraries for rich client framework like these
no longer warrant the effort.  I prefer to encourage users to use the
client-side libraries as intended by their designers, whether that's
with HTML markup or programmatic javascript. This approach benefits the
users as they can receive support directly from Dojo or other vendor,
can develop skills that can be transferred between server-side
frameworks and they have no artificial constraints placed on them by a
tag library. Struts2's role should be to simplify server-side
integration, such as by providing default models that can be used by the
Dojo widgets.  And provide really good examples.

On a related issue, improving support for JSF components may allow user
to leverage existing tag libraries instead of re-inventing them.

Re: Dojo plugin update using 1.1.0 framework

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
Hi,

I'd propose to get out 2.1.1 test build asap and integrate the latest dojo
stuff into 2.1.2-dev as well as the other updated plugins.
I'd volunteer for this unless Musachy has time to do so.

So we can test all other features and enhancements we integrated in the
past months and can continue with the development of S2.1.x.

What do you think?

cheers,
Rainer

Rainer Hermanns
aixcept
Mariahilfstrasse 9
52062 Aachen - Germany
w: http://aixcept.de/
t: +49-241-4012247
m: +49-170-3432912

Re: Dojo plugin update using 1.1.0 framework

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
David,

No problem, the easiest was to compile is to download Struts2 head
(instructions at http://struts.apache.org/dev/builds.html), locate the
plugins\dojo directory, delete it, and replace with the directory from the
zip file.

As for the compiling, follow the build instructions for struts after you've
done the replacement.

Al.

Posted by "Karr, David" <da...@wamu.net>.

Posted by Pedro Herrera <pe...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.

Posted by Pedro Herrera <pe...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Pedro Herrera <pe...@hotmail.com>.
good job. I´ve started a new project and I´m going to test your plugin for
now. I were waiting for this improve for a long time.

Thanks

Herrera

Posted by Tsemach Hadad <TS...@Amdocs.com>.
Thanks Al - We(& Others I know) are waiting for it quite a long time
since we believe that Struts 2 with Dojo 1.X
are very good choice from architecture prespective.
1 note -
We started working with Dojo 1.0 for few months with Struts 2  - (We had
minimal conversion of some of the tags we used)
From what we've learned in last months it was better for us to work on
dojo declarative mode rather than programmatic
since we wanted to use Dojo Struts Components inside Dialogs which
doesn't have executeScripts turned on.
It may be solved by using alternate theme with same FTLs but in
declarative mode ,or configuration in Plug-in level.

thx
        tsemach
Amdocs Ltd.,  MVCInfra A&M

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
You can do, I'm keeping it on my system atm, so I'm happy to co-ordinate
changes.

Al.

Is it appropriate at this point to submit a bug for this, and provide a
patch for your changes?

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
I think there's been a lot of back end changes, but they have a couple of
API change docs at

http://dojotoolkit.org/book/dojo-porting-guide-0-4-x-0-9

and

http://dojotoolkit.org/book/dojo-porting-guide-0-9-x-1-0

My stuff is definitely a work in progress, so I'm sure people will hit bugs,
but at least we now starting the move :).

Al.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
I'm not sure how deep the tests are, but only two needed changing, and those
two were the header tests which needed an update to reflect a removed config
parameter and a pair of parameters that were combined and renamed.

It's working for my needs at the moment, but I'm pretty more bugs will be
discovered as people thrash it.

Al.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Karr, David" <da...@wamu.net>.