Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org> on 2005/12/09 00:30:58 UTC

Does there need to be a default web container?

This is obviously a hot topic and I hope that as a Geronimo PMC and user
community we are not forced to have to show preference of one over the
other.  There is obviously some personal preferences on both sides and
we are a great open source project because we do not have to get behind
one *or* the other.  We can get behind them both.

May I ask why the installer/wizard cannot have a page called "Choose
Your Web Container" and have an option for Jetty and Tomcat, but neither
selected?  Does there need to be a default?  Can we just let the end
user choose?

IMHO, I don't think we should provide a preference for one over the
other.  I really like both.  I think we should give the user the choice
without hinting a preference.

Thoughts and comments?

Jeff

Re: Does there need to be a default web container?

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Greg,

Thanks for taking care of the wiki entries.  It looks great.

Jeff

Posted by Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>.
Guys,

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
IMHO, its over and set in stone.  I would have liked that we examined
what the community wanted and tallied the vote based on our user base,
but unfortunately this is not my decision.

Vote count:

                          Jetty             Tomcat
                         -------           --------
Geronimo Committers       12                 4
Users                      6                11
                         -------           --------
                           18                15

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Panagiotis Astithas <pa...@ebs.gr>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Then lets agree to disagree.  We should probably take this offline if it
needs to be discussed further.  This is kind of off-topic.

Jeff

>>> Erin

Re: Does there need to be a default web container?

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Thats a great idea...

Kinda like Google's "I'm feeling lucky" ;-)

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Erin Mulder <me...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Jeff Genender wrote:
> So you think your average Geronimo user will have no idea what a web
> container is?

It's possible.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
       How about something like dual-boot systems. If
you don't pick a container fast enough, one will be
chosen for you! We will be giving the user the choice,
but also making a decision which will be installed by
default.

Cheers!
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Does there need to be a default web container?

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 05:49:59PM -0700, Jeff Genender wrote:
> So you think your average Geronimo user will have no idea what a web
> container is?

The issue is whether they'll have enough knowledge of the pros and
cons of Jetty versus Tomcat to make an informed decision between them.
And what of the naive users that don't know or care what a web
container is?

I recognize that this is a tough decision to make, but I don't think
it's a good idea to punt it onto each user that wants to use Geronimo.

Re: Does there need to be a default web container?

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Jeff Genender wrote:

> Joe Bohn wrote:
>
>> I agree with Aaron with regard to usability.   Users don't want to
>> have to make any decisions on the first install (especially when they
>> first pick it up for evaluation).  My mom doesn't install anything on
>> her computer unless she can click, click, click and get it working.  I
>> know our users are more sophisticated than her  ... but we want to
>> make it as easy as possibly to get something working quickly.  We want
>> to make this easy enough for my mom to install (even though she never
>> will).  :-)
>

> So you think your average Geronimo user will have no idea what a web
> container is?

I think they'll know what a web container is.  I just don't think that
they will initially care which web container they use the first time
they install Geronimo.

When they are ready to begin using Geronimo in earnest then they will
take the time to decide which web container they want and if necessary
the choose the non-default they can over-ride it.  But for the first
install I don't think most users will care.  I just think that we want
to make a good first impression by being easier to install then the user
may have expected (which I'm currently hoping can eventually be click,
click, click, done).

Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn@earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: Does there need to be a default web container?

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn@earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: Does there need to be a default web container?

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
Also if one container is in some way better than another today, that may
not be the case in the future.  Once we have a default, it will be hard
to change in the future.  Not having a default also provides a fair
playing field for those who are contributing to the project and
encourages competition.  Let the user decide.

John

Posted by Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>.
-0

As I have often said, in the long run the user should not care if they
are using jetty or tomcat and it was a mistake for us to expose
implementation detail as we have.

I have always preferred the web tier to be just called "web"
and then in future the developers will have the option to change
implementations.   Just as we may change the implementation of GBeans,
CORBA, EJB, JMS or any other component.

I would say that perhaps the installer should not even offer the option
unless it is in some advanced mode.   Less is more when it comes
to configuration options.

If at a later time we have a debate about technical advantages and
support issues and decide that tomcat is a better default - then that
can be changed in a future release (or we can continue to work hard to
improve Jetty to meet the requirements of the geronimo community).

regards

Posted by Erik Daughtrey <er...@schemacity.org>.
I may have phrased the original issue badly.  The installer has both Jetty and
Tomcat as options to install on the main pack selection page.  It was decided
that because of the complexity of installing two web containers that we
should not install both, but allow the operator to select one or the other.

In M5, the installer actually allowed both containers to be configured, but
did not have a way to validate the ports selected.  When configured correctly
with no conflicting ports, both containers will start.  There's some
goofiness with offlineDeployer and runtimeDeployer since one of the
containers will win the config.xml entries if more than one is selected --
looks like Tomcat wins.

For 1.0, both containers will be listed on the first selection screen.
However, it didn't make sense to default both to install when the plan was to
only allow one.

Allowing both requires the installer to validate the ports and ensure that the
operator does not configure both containers to the same port. This problem
exists for other port types as well, but is less likely to be a problem.

IzPack does not support this inter-panel validation easily i.e. through normal
XML based configuration.  It requires that java code be built to extend the
user input panels.

On the other hand, limiting the operator to one web container is no panacea
either.  To effectively do this, I have configured the XML to set Jetty as
the default to install (Tomcat can be selected) since it's confusing to do
otherwise in this scenario (although the default could just as easily be
Tomcat and it looks like the vote is going that way).  This effectively
starts down a good path for this scenario, but the operator can easily select
both containers again.  To stop this, I will extend a userinput panel to be
invoked to check that both are selected and not allow the install to proceed
past the first userinput screen -- the first screen after the major component
selection.  This again requires java code since IzPack does not have a
parameter to apply to packs such as "exclusiveOf( packName )".  This is
interesting since it does have "depends( packname )" which allows us to
require the Tomcat container when installing the Tomcat console, etc.

This may be more than everyone wants to know, but to answer your question, I
don't see any particular reason why the installer cannot allow installation
of both.  However, it's very late in the 1.0 cycle and the current design is
that we'd allow one or the other, but not both.

I have no particular preference myself.

 On Thursday 08 December 2005 18:30, Jeff Genender wrote:
> This is obviously a hot topic and I hope that as a Geronimo PMC and user
> community we are not forced to have to show preference of one over the
> other.  There is obviously some personal preferences on both sides and
> we are a great open source project because we do not have to get behind
> one *or* the other.  We can get behind them both.
>
> May I ask why the installer/wizard cannot have a page called "Choose
> Your Web Container" and have an option for Jetty and Tomcat, but neither
> selected?  Does there need to be a default?  Can we just let the end
> user choose?
>
> IMHO, I don't think we should provide a preference for one over the
> other.  I really like both.  I think we should give the user the choice
> without hinting a preference.
>
> Thoughts and comments?
>
> Jeff

Erik

Re: Does there need to be a default web container?

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.
I'd also prefer the choice too be left to the user

+1

-bd-