Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/13 20:12:31 UTC

[VOTE] 1.0.0 RC1

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the second candidate for release of Apache Kafka 1.0.0.

It's worth noting that starting in this version we are using a different
version protocol with three digits: *major.minor.bug-fix*

Any and all testing is welcome, but the following areas are worth
highlighting:

1. Client developers should verify that their clients can produce/consume
to/from 1.0.0 brokers (ideally with compressed and uncompressed data).
2. Performance and stress testing. Heroku and LinkedIn have helped with
this in the past (and issues have been found and fixed).
3. End users can verify that their apps work correctly with the new release.

This is a major version release of Apache Kafka. It includes 29 new KIPs.
See the release notes and release plan
(*https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=71764913
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=71764913>*)
for more details. A few feature highlights:

* Java 9 support with significantly faster TLS and CRC32C implementations
(KIP)
* JBOD improvements: disk failure only disables failed disk but not the
broker (KIP-112/KIP-113)
* Newly added metrics across all the modules (KIP-164, KIP-168, KIP-187,
KIP-188, KIP-196)
* Kafka Streams API improvements (KIP-120 / 130 / 138 / 150 / 160 / 161),
and drop compatibility "Evolving" annotations

Release notes for the 1.0.0 release:
*http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc1/RELEASE_NOTES.html
<http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc1/RELEASE_NOTES.html>*

*** Please download, test and vote by Tuesday, October 13, 8pm PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
*http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc1/
<http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc1/>*

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
*http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc1/javadoc/
<http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc1/javadoc/>*

* Tag to be voted upon (off 1.0 branch) is the 1.0.0-rc1 tag:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=kafka.git;a=tag;h=9424d29dbf0a3c538215b0b98b1e6b956481e4d5

* Documentation:
Note the documentation can't be pushed live due to changes that will not go
live until the release. You can manually verify by downloading
http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc1/kafka_2.11-1.0.0-site-docs.tgz

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 1.0.0 branch:
Unit/integration tests: https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-1.0-jdk7/31/
System test: https://jenkins.confluent.io/job/system-test-kafka-1.0/1/

/**************************************

Thanks,
-- Guozhang

Re: [kafka-clients] Re: [VOTE] 1.0.0 RC1

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jun,

I will roll out a new RC for this PR then.

Guozhang

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jun,

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.