Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by jeffrey615 <gj...@comcast.net> on 2007/10/25 01:29:09 UTC

Issues with basic configuration of Server.xml

I am trying to configure the server with the basic configuration from the
apache website and I can't get the server to restart after I added the new
code.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

        simple
        uid=admin,ou=system
        secret

        objectClass: top
        objectClass: organizationalUnit
        objectClass: extensibleObject
        ou: system

        objectClass: top
        objectClass: domain
        objectClass: extensibleObject
        dc: example

        objectClass: top
        objectClass: organization

Re: Issues with basic configuration of Server.xml

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Oh thanks Stefan I should of added instead of waiting for you.  Just was
wondering
where to put it however you put it in the perfect place.

Thanks again,
Alex

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
+1 I agree with Emmanuel then we waste less time, energy and bytes in the
archives.

Alex

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Custine <cc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On 10/27/07, jeffrey615 <gj...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Sorry if you all think this question was stupid.  I am a medical doctor
> that
> don't have much experience with computers.  My head is wired for medicine
> not computers!!!

No it was not stupid.  It simply showed that you wanted us to do everything
for you
to help you.  I spent 5-10 minutes looking at your XML (server.xml) file to
give you
the answer in a reply but you totally missed it and kept asking what I think
is the problem.
That's when people put their hands up and go "how much more can I help this
guy."
That was 10 minutes of time I could have given to my kids instead of trying
to help you
for free without any benefit.  Would you be so patient or generous?

The best advice I can give you is to hire a contractor who can do the work
for you so you
can treat your patients instead of wasting time here.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Issues with basic configuration of Server.xml

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
jeffrey615 wrote:
> Sorry if you all think this question was stupid.  I am a medical doctor that
> don't have much experience with computers.  My head is wired for medicine
> not computers!!!

"Doctor, my leg hurts..."
"Hmmm, I think it's broken, you should go to the next hospital"
'Oh, Doctor, do you think something is wrong with my leg ?"

Pretty sure that you will ask your patient if he has also some kind of
Alzeihmer ...

This is what your mails and our answers looks like, when you read them
again.

People are pretty patient, but they don't like to be asked twice the
same thing. We work on this server for fun, on extra hours, and you can
bet that those extra hours are numerous (it's a 500 000 lines of code
beast, something you just don't write in a couple of weeks). Sometime
you will also get an harsh answer just because it's 3 am, and we are
tired trying to fix an obscure bug instead of having some rest.

The link Stefan pointed to contains many reasons why 'hackers' don't
like what they consider as 'stupid questions'. Of course, it's a
semi-humorous test, and you should not consider that hackers are always
right. We are all volunteers, and we are sometime very vocal, that's it.

Emmanuel.

Posted by jeffrey615 <gj...@comcast.net>.

Stefan Zoerner-2 wrote:

> jeffrey615 wrote:
>> Yeah that is the xml file that I am having issues with.  Do you see any
>> code
>> that is not right?
>
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>
> Greetings from Hamburg,
>      Stefan

:-p:-p

Re: Issues with basic configuration of Server.xml

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.

Posted by Chris Custine <cc...@apache.org>.
These entries are duplicated.

    <property name="contextEntry">
 <property name="contextEntry">

Chris

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Read my reply. Stop wasting my time.  I told you what the problem was.

Alex

Posted by jeffrey615 <gj...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hmmm is this link to your server.xml below? My web browser kind of gave me a

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeffrey,

I see that Alex has answered your question.

FYI, we have a users mailing list, which is the best place to send
question related to ADS usage.

Thanks for using ADS !

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Version? OS? You think your email is sufficient for us to help you?

And use the users list - not the dev list!