Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> on 2004/07/12 18:25:10 UTC

RE: 1.2.1 to which Maven repo? (RE: [ANN] Struts 1.2.1 (Beta) Released)

I'm bringing this thread over to the dev list
because it's fairly technical and boring to the
average user.

I went ahead and set up the "nightly builds"
Maven repository with Struts 1.2.1 -- see
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/struts/

I tried to flesh out the directories along the
"idealized" Maven repository, by including
'licenses', 'distributions','poms', and 'tlds'
directories as well as 'jars'  Not sure if that's
right or not, since it doesn't seem to be
thoroughly documented; we'll just see.

Anyway, so the two pertinent questions are
1) should this go on iBiblio yet?  I'm leaning
towards "no" until it reaches GA status.  For
general reference, the Apache directory
"/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository" is
mirrored to iBiblio, so that when we decide that
a Struts release is GA, we can set up that
directory and have the release maven-published
automatically.

2) what version number should struts-el have?
1.2.1 ?  I'm not sure we've bothered with
formally labelling it with a release in the past,
but Maven really likes things to have versions.

On minor administrative issues, I also changed
the "project.xml" file version to 1.2.1 (from
1.2.1-dev) and moved the release tag for that one
file so that if someone checks out to the tag,
the JAR artifact will have the correct version
number.

Joe

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
My thoughts below.

Joe Germuska wrote:

> I'm bringing this thread over to the dev list because it's fairly
> technical and boring to the average user.
>
> I went ahead and set up the "nightly builds" Maven repository with
> Struts 1.2.1 -- see http://cvs.apache.org/repository/struts/
>
> I tried to flesh out the directories along the "idealized" Maven
> repository, by including 'licenses', 'distributions','poms', and
> 'tlds' directories as well as 'jars'  Not sure if that's right or not,
> since it doesn't seem to be thoroughly documented; we'll just see.
>
> Anyway, so the two pertinent questions are
> 1) should this go on iBiblio yet?  I'm leaning towards "no" until it
> reaches GA status.  For general reference, the Apache directory
> "/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository" is mirrored to iBiblio, so
> that when we decide that a Struts release is GA, we can set up that
> directory and have the release maven-published automatically.

I don't think we should go into
"/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository" without a GA build, because
that directory also gets mirrorred around the world ... and *that*
should only contain GAs.

That being said, a private alpha/beta Maven repository on Apache
someplace seems reasonable.

> 2) what version number should struts-el have? 1.2.1 ?  I'm not sure
> we've bothered with formally labelling it with a release in the past,
> but Maven really likes things to have versions.

If we ship it with the standard Struts release, it should have the same
version number.  If it's shipped separately, then it should have it's
own version number series.  (That's what I plan to do when struts-faces
is ready to be released).

> On minor administrative issues, I also changed the "project.xml" file
> version to 1.2.1 (from 1.2.1-dev) and moved the release tag for that
> one file so that if someone checks out to the tag, the JAR artifact
> will have the correct version number.
>
> Joe

Craig

PS:  Per my comments last night, we also need to set up our own download
page for GA distributions that leverages the mirror network, the way
that Ant and Maven etc. do it, rather than continuing to rely on the
Jakarta page (which is getting increasingly hard to use because of the
number of releases found there.  Does anyone have time to work on that?

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
I went on a code expedition and your correct, it does look like the
current cvs head now uses the artifact plugin to deploy jars, this
plugin has its own md5 generation. thats good to see.

-Mark

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ap...@carlos.cousas.net>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ap...@carlos.cousas.net>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Hey Guys,

Maven migration (RE: 1.2.1 to which Maven repo?)

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ap...@carlos.cousas.net>.
Migrating from ant is the common problem, but once you try maven you forget
ant ;)

I'm very pleased to help, we can share maven experiences.

You're right src/share should be changed to src/java, conf to src/conf and
the examples should be moved to new maven projects. It's better if the
projects are not nested, say
/struts/struts (core struts)
/struts/examples
/struts/contrib/struts-el