Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Rose, John B" <jb...@utk.edu> on 2016/03/08 20:43:28 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache virus scanning

Looking for comments on mod_clamav, and any other alternative antivirus software for Apache on linux

Re: [users@httpd] Apache virus scanning

Posted by Wei-min Lee <we...@gmail.com>.
You can configure scheduled scans of your system with clamav. As for real
time protection, that'll take some research - might even have to consider a
commercial product. But if you end up paying for a commercial product, you
might as well get one that also supports ICAP - the popular ones do
nowadays, but it's best to confirm.

~Sent from my Google Nexus 6P~

Posted by Rubén Toribio Aldeguer <rt...@riu.com>.

Posted by Wei-min Lee <we...@gmail.com>.

--
*~Wei-min Lee~*

Re: [users@httpd] Apache virus scanning

Posted by Wei-min Lee <we...@gmail.com>.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 8:12 AM, Aurélien Terrestris <at...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On a large scale prod (200 000 users/day), I was using proxies working
> with antivirus through ICAP protocol (RFC 3507). The results were pretty
> good.
> I am not sure we could use this technology with Apache, and ICAP seems a
> bit old now.

> chris@christopherschultz.net>:
>
>> John,
>>
>> On 3/9/16 10:21 AM, Rose, John B wrote:
>> > What about if your web sites allow for uploading files? Would you not
>> want
>> > to scan those on upload before they got on your filesystem?
>>
>> Sure, it would be nice to have the file scanned during upload, but I'm
>> guessing that the AV can't give an opinion on a file until it's been
>> completely-uploaded. In that case, do you really want to buffer the
>> whole file in memory to scan it?
>>
>> I think the file is going to make it -- at least in part -- to the disk
>> either way, unless you have other controls in place such as upload-size
>> limits where you can make a good bet that in-memory scanning can be done
>> without bringing-down your server.
>>
>> Anyhow, I don't have any particular experience with mod_clamav or
>> anything like that. Certainly I wouldn't rely upon it solely, since
>> there are other ways files can make it onto your server(s). But it
>> probably couldn't hurt.
>>
>> Things I'd be worried about are which requests will be scanned by the
>> AV? Will every single GET/POST/etc. be scanned? That might cause a
>> significant impact on your response times. Also, the aforementioned
>> buffering -- does the file have to remain in memory to be scanned, or
>> will it be streamed to a disk somewhere first? You don't want AV-scans
>> to bust your memory cap.
>>
>> -chris

>> an

*~Wei-min Lee~*

Re: [users@httpd] Apache virus scanning

Posted by Aurélien Terrestris <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
John,

Posted by David Copeland <da...@jsidata.ca>.
Hi John,

For that I use a php script that handles the upload. It runs clamscan on
the uploaded file.

For example:

        $outputlines = array();
        $last = exec ( "clamscan --quiet
".$_FILES['uploadedfile']['tmp_name'], $outputlines, $rc );
       # then check $rc ..... 1 => a virus was found.

Dave.

On 03/09/2016 10:21 AM, Rose, John B wrote:
> What about if your web sites allow for uploading files? Would you not want
> to scan those on upload before they got on your filesystem?
>
> On 3/9/16 9:49 AM, "Christopher Schultz" <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
> wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>> On 3/8/16 6:02 PM, Rose, John B wrote:
>>> I am interested in both
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad

>>> John

>>> Are you trying to protect your clients or your servers?
>> I would imagine that running any AV software that monitors the
>> filesystem for changes would be sufficient. Why do you think you need an
>> httpd module for this?
>>
>> -chris

David Copeland
JSI Data Systems Limited