Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Mouratidis, Georg" <GM...@heiler.com> on 2003/04/04 14:14:14 UTC

Netscape and struts-html.tld-Eventhandler

Hi @ all,

I have aproblem with Netscape 4.7, 6.0 and 6.1 and the eventhandler.

according to the W3C an eventhandler schould start with lowercase characters. The next character should be capitalized.
e.g. onClick, onBlur. But Struts allows only lowercase characters.

Is there any solution except avoid using STRUTS-tlds.
I know i can solve the problem by using <input type="text" ...> but this is not the basic idea of STRUTS.

mit freundlichen Grüßen

Georg XL. Mouratidis
Web Application Developer

Heiler|Software AG
Mittlerer Pfad 9
D-70499 Stuttgart

Tel: 0711-139 84-265
Fax: 0711-866 63 01
Email: gmouratidis@heiler.com

Connecting Buyer and Supplier
http://www.heiler.com

Re: Netscape and struts-html.tld-Eventhandler

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Mouratidis, Georg wrote:

> Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:14:14 +0200
> From: "Mouratidis, Georg" <GM...@heiler.com>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Netscape and struts-html.tld-Eventhandler
>
> Hi @ all,
>
> I have aproblem with Netscape 4.7, 6.0 and 6.1 and the eventhandler.
> according to the W3C an eventhandler schould start with lowercase
> characters. The next character should be capitalized. e.g. onClick,
> onBlur.

This is not correct.

The HTML Specification describes all of the event handler attributes in
"pure lower case".  Many browsers are not case sensitive when processing
attribute and element names, but in XHTML they will be required to be in
all lower case -- your page will not be valid if you use "onClick".

> But Struts allows only lowercase characters. <html:text
> onclick="..."/>. If i use "onClick" an error occurs of course.

Struts follows the standards and will not be changed.

> Is there any solution except avoid using STRUTS-tlds. I know i can solve
> the problem by using <input type="text" ...> but this is not the basic
> idea of STRUTS.

If your browser does not understand that "onClick" and "onclick" are the
same, then your browser is broken.  Of course, the versions you describe
all have so many other horrible bugs that I'm glad I don't need to support
them in my apps any longer ;-).

> mit freundlichen Grüßen
>
> Georg XL. Mouratidis
> Web Application Developer