Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2008/09/17 13:10:56 UTC

Multi Module Packaging

Hi there,

i have a working multi module setup where different modules create
artifacts.

   Parent
     +-- Mod A (Artifact: a.tar.gz, a-1.tar.gz, a-2.tar.gz, a-3.tar.gz)
     +-- Mod B (Artifact: b.tar.gz)
     +-- Mod C (Artifact: c.tar.gz)
     +-- Mod D
Now i would like to create "Super-Archives" which comprises of different
artifacts from different modules.

For example: Artifact Install-a (Artifacts from Module A; Module C)
                      Install-b (Artifacts from Module B; files
                                 from parent Module)

So i would like to know the best practice to solve this...I can't use
mvn deploy, cause i have to deliver the packages not via Maven Repos so
i have to create "Super-Archives"...

I have thought about this and would simply create assemblies which are
configured in that why...

For the case "using files from parent module", i would suggest to create
a stand-alone sub-module and create usual artifacts...

Does anybody has a good hint for this kind of problem ?

Thanks in advance...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

RE: Multi Module Packaging

Posted by Tibor Kiss <Ti...@indgroup.eu>.
Hi Karl,

I had similar problem. Except that simply I refused not to keep releases in maven repository!
Moreover, I have a special packaging structure and some extra stuffs which cannot be performed through assemblies.

Therefore I made a maven plugin somewhere similar to maven-ear-plugin, in the sense that in the configuration part of the plugin I enumerated some higher level module references (like ClientJarModule, TemplateModule, SharedLibModule, EarModule,  WarModule  etc) Each types points to the dependency list specified in pom file. Then I resolve each of these enumerated submodules.
Each type from these "higher level" modules needs different actions while packaging.
Finally  I have a single output, a zip file which is also deployed into the company's central repository.

I always create a submodule of packaging type "zip" (zip packaging type is defined by me) in which pom file I place the previously described new plugin.
So the result is, that in this way we have each submodules plus this new zip module's output in the repository. We need all of these modules,  otherwise team members cannot build without sources and we loose everything what gave us the Maven!

Try to rethink the skipping of a maven repository!

Regards,
Tibor