Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by vi...@vanguard.com on 2005/10/07 13:41:09 UTC

Cactus and JSF

Does the Cactus team have any plans to incorporate JSF testing capabilities
into Cactus?

Thanks,
Vince Bloise

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT. The information contained in this e-mail message, including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the property of, Vanguard. The information is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or distribution of any such information is prohibited, and please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.

Re: Cactus and JSF

Posted by Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net>.
Hi Vince,

AFAIK, we don't have any plans to incorporate JSF testing into Cactus.
But that doesn't means we wouldn't like to, just that we don't have the
resources to do it currently. On the contrary, we would love to support
other Java EE APIs like JSF and Portlets, but we (the current commiters)
lack the expertise or time to do so nowadays.

Anyway, regarding the comments about Shale and MyFaces tests, it would
be great if we could integrate their solutions into Cactus, so the 3
projects could take advantage of a common solution and avoid duplicated
work. Maybe all is needed is someone to approach them and make the
proposal - any volunteer?

[]s,

-- Felipe

Re: Cactus and JSF

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@apache.org>.
From: <vi...@vanguard.com>

> Will Cactus add classes to represent the JSF related session objects like
> the FacesContext? If not, how would I place my test data into the Faces
> request without mocking FacesContext?

I don't know what plans the Cactus team has, but you might want to look at
Shale's test package:
  http://people.apache.org/~craigmcc/shale-test-javadocs/

Nightly builds are available:
   http://struts.apache.org/shale/index.html#download

> Also, can I use Cactus to test a JSF JSP? If so , do you know of any
> examples?

This is where I'm still confused-- by the time it gets to the browser, it's
"just" HTML and JavaScript.  I don't see why testing the output of a JSP
page that had JSF tags in it is different from testing one that had, say,
Struts tags.  It's still <input type="text" ...> in the browser, right?

FWIW there are some examples of testing JSF JSP pages in Shale.  Look in
src/systest in the use-cases section.  They are, however, HtmlUnit and the
current version of the Cactus Maven plugin wouldn't run them.  I did see
HtmlUnit support get added to Cactus recently, so I'm hopeful.

I'd suggest that you ask about testing JSF apps on the MyFaces list.  Even
if you're using a different implementation, they are a helpful bunch. :)
And if you have questions about Shale, come join us on the Struts user list.

HTH,
--
Wendy Smoak

Re: Cactus and JSF

Posted by vi...@vanguard.com.
Will Cactus add classes to represent the JSF related session objects like
the FacesContext? If not, how would I place my test data into the Faces
request without mocking FacesContext?

Also, can I use Cactus to test a JSF JSP? If so , do you know of any
examples?

Thanks,
Vince Bloise

                  Wendy Smoak
                  <wsmoak@apac
                  he.org>                                               To
                                       Cactus Users List
                  10/07/2005           <ca...@jakarta.apache.org>
                  05:55 PM                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
                       Please          Re: Cactus and JSF
                       respond
                       "Cactus
                        Users
                        List"
                       <cactus
                       -user@j
                       akarta.
                       apache.
                        org>

> Does the Cactus team have any plans to incorporate JSF testing
> capabilities
> into Cactus?

The MyFaces team is using Cactus, so you might take a look at what they're
doing.

Or maybe I don't understand the question-- what do you think needs to be
added to Cactus to enable testing JSF webapps?

--
Wendy Smoak

Re: Cactus and JSF

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@apache.org>.