Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Greg Bullough <gw...@fpk.hp.com> on 1997/12/15 23:06:05 UTC

mod_auth-any/1556: Authentication requires multiple tries on IE3.n, Netscape 3.n

>Number:         1556
>Category:       mod_auth-any
>Synopsis:       Authentication requires multiple tries on IE3.n, Netscape 3.n
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Using a vanilla NCSA authorization with a 'deny from all' for the doc
root directory in access.conf, and an .htaccess in the target dirctory
which contains:

AuthName 6FlagsBook
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/users
require valid-user
satisfy any

it takes multiple tries to get authenticated on Netscape 3.02 or IE 3.02.
The second or third try gets the pages, or some of them. If the second
gets some the third gets all.

Netscape Communicator seems to be okay in this respect.

I wonder if there's a compatability issue.

I just installed and am trialing Apache, so I have no sense of how prior
releases worked.
>How-To-Repeat:
Unfortunately, I cannot externalize the URL at this time. The
information thereon is proprietary.