Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Stephanie Tilden <st...@nd.edu> on 2013/09/15 19:31:09 UTC

Students looking for an opportunity to contribute

Hi!  I have emailed dev-subscribe to subscribe to the Apache Open Office
Mailing List with the same information that follows:

I am a Computer Science student at the University of Notre Dame.  I have a
year experience in C++ and am now in a Data Structures course, where we
have a final project that includes becoming familiar with and adding or
editing a feature (data structure related) of an open source project.

We are working in groups of two.  My partner for this project and I are
wondering if there is an opportunity in the Apache Open Office community
where you need a data structure added or edited in your project.  We have 3
months to work on this project.  Please let us know if you have any options!

Thank you!

Stephanie (stilden@nd.edu) & Caroline (cgerstle@nd.edu)

--
Stephanie Tilden
University of Notre Dame

Re: Students looking for an opportunity to contribute

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 9/16/13 11:55 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Stephanie Tilden <st...@nd.edu> wrote:
>
>> We have other courses parallel, so we will probably want to find a
>> relatively smaller project in comparison.  We can spend a few hours a week
>> on this for three months.  We don't need to add a new data structure for
>> our project, and we'd be happy to edit and help improve an existing one.
>>  We would be happy to look at the classes for handling strings, or import
>> and export filters.
>>

> ​OpenOffice is a very large codebase, with many million of lines of code. I
> would certainly not try to discourage you but, I think this project is too
> large to munch. That said, there are other ways you could help. You could
> code extensions, these extensions are much smaller projects with not that
> many lines of code, and you can create patches for it.​

it's true that AOO is a huge project but that is natural for such a huge
system. The point is that you can specialize on certain areas which are
then much more comparable to other projects.

Extension are good but they should not be used to extend core
functionality. Well I am big fan of extension I have driven the
programmability story of AOO for many years. But what we need more is
developers who are willing to dive deeper in the core, help to fix
issues or help to implement feature requests. Or who are interested to
join us in the work on an improved OOXML filter, a format that becomes
more and more popular, which is also an ISO standard and can't be
ignored if we take it serious. I am big friend of ODF but OOXML becomes
probably more important in the future if I like it or not.

I would recommend to build the office on your own and debug the code
later on. Pick an issue or area of your interest and step through the
code to learn how things work.

It can be of course a challenge to subdue such a beat of code ;-)

We are here to help, fell free to ask questions.

Juergen

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: Students looking for an opportunity to contribute

Posted by Stephanie Tilden <st...@nd.edu>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Stephanie, hi Caroline,