Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net> on 2009/02/09 20:03:35 UTC

JPA_BRANCH status

The JPA_BRANCH has a more or less complete snapshot of working JPA
1.0/JTA replacement for all components that use OJB persistence. All the
ported components have JPA unit tests that are configured with custom
Spring configurations. At the moment, there is no portal-level spring
configuration, (i.e. J2 spring category), to swap out OJB for JPA. The
extended/conversational transaction support requires some customization
in the portal pipeline that has not been implemented. Once these two
items are addressed, we should be able to fire up a JPA/JTA based portal
in short order. Of course, there will be bugs since our unit test
coverage is not 100% comprehensive. That said, I'm nearing completion of
this tour-de-force.

The JPA_BRANCH is slightly out of date, but I plan on merging updates
when the latest Portlet 2.0 updates make there way into trunk for the
registry. I will then start the final steps outlined above.

Here is a list of the minor open issues that also need to be resolved:

1. make jetspeed-rdbms test jars to remove abstract test cases from
component jars and set default jndi/atomikos properties for unit tests.
2. cleanup resources that currently reside in src/main/java that belong
in src/main/resources.
3. refine distributed cache update/notifications to filter by types to
ensure DBPM updates are not triggered by other persistence unit commits.
4. reduce logging levels in log4j.properties files for OpenJPA, Spring,
and Atomikos packages in unit tests.
5. test forced distributed cache commit updates implemented in security
component, (principal associations/permission updates need to clear
remote query cache to ensure updates to principals are not hidden).

More work to do, but we're getting there!

Randy