Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2006/06/14 10:29:21 UTC

PDF color handling

Max,

I know you're interested in better color handling in FOP. I'm currently
working on implementing some level of PDF/X-3:2003 support for FOP.
PDF/X-3:2003 because it can be used together with PDF/A-1. There's a
mean little detail in the PDF/X spec that says the output intent must
use an "Output Device Profile" which sRGB isn't (It's a Display Profile).
Since all Output Device Profiles I found so far are CMYK profiles I
obviously need to look into this a little. What I'm planning is to
properly map XSL-FO's sRGB values into proper sRGB color values in the
PDF (by mapping DefaultRGB into sRGB). That way I can avoid converting
colors early and still indirectly set up the color transformation from
sRGB to the target CMYK profile.

What I'd like to know is whether you've already done some work in the
CMYK area. Not that we duplicate our efforts.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: PDF color handling (and PDF/X-3:2003)

Posted by Max Berger <ma...@berger.name>.
Jermias,

unfortunately I have currently very little time, so no work done here.
cool to see that you are working on it. I'll try some tests, but it
may be a while...

Max

On Jun 14, 2006, at 4:43 PM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I just went ahead and finished this as explained earlier. It was
> so easy to do. So, we now have initial support for PDF/X-3:2003 and
> improved PDF/A-1b support. Documentation will follow shortly.
>
> I learned a lot about color handling while implementing this stuff. I
> think that having all standard colors properly defined as sRGB in
> PDF is
> a step further to ensure that FOP doesn't break the color intention
> from
> XSL-FO when it generates PDF (uncalibrated, device-specific RGB vs.
> sRGB).
> Together with the new possibility to specify an output profile, the
> colors should now be properly mapped to the target device even if
> it's a
> CMYK device (Confirmation from a professional pending, of course). :-)
>
> On 14.06.2006 10:29:21 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>> Max,
>>
>> I know you're interested in better color handling in FOP. I'm
>> currently
>> working on implementing some level of PDF/X-3:2003 support for FOP.
>> PDF/X-3:2003 because it can be used together with PDF/A-1. There's a
>> mean little detail in the PDF/X spec that says the output intent must
>> use an "Output Device Profile" which sRGB isn't (It's a Display
>> Profile).
>> Since all Output Device Profiles I found so far are CMYK profiles I
>> obviously need to look into this a little. What I'm planning is to
>> properly map XSL-FO's sRGB values into proper sRGB color values in
>> the
>> PDF (by mapping DefaultRGB into sRGB). That way I can avoid
>> converting
>> colors early and still indirectly set up the color transformation
>> from
>> sRGB to the target CMYK profile.
>>
>> What I'd like to know is whether you've already done some work in the
>> CMYK area. Not that we duplicate our efforts.
>

> Jeremias Maerki

Max Berger
e-mail: max@berger.name

--
PGP/GnuPG ID: E81592BC   Print: F489F8759D4132923EC4
BC7E072AB73AE81592BC

Re: PDF color handling (and PDF/X-3:2003)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.