Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> on 2015/08/05 02:39:01 UTC

[NOTICE] HBase licensing issue on binary artifacts

Hi Bigtop!

Just a heads up, HBase recently went to work cleaning house on our
licensing[1]. As a part of cleaning things up for our source and binary
artifacts we discovered that one of our runtime dependencies bundles works
covered by an uncategorized license[2]. Since we make a convenience binary
artifact that bundles all dependencies, we've been holding off releases
pending a judgement or some mitigation.

If y'all release convenience binary artifacts that include the HBase shell
and its required jruby-complete jar, this impacts you as well.

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-14085
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-222

--
Sean

RE: [NOTICE] HBase licensing issue on binary artifacts

Posted by na...@reactor8.com.
Yeah, seems like hosting of bigtop-hbase deb/rpm would need to be fixed up.

>From the jira looks like the patch is for next release of hbase, so assuming
if 1.0 goes out and hbase still hasn't released in bigtop 1.1/1.0.1 we could
rev the hbase component ref to the latest so everything is up to date.

Does that make sense Sean B?

Thankfully we don't release binaries under ASF but at the same time we do
have convenience artifacts, and I guess building hbase rpms and hosting em
is something we need to think about for this upcoming release.?

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Sean.