Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi> on 2013/11/01 09:09:07 UTC

Hadoop Similarities

Morning,

Chris will remember a couple of years ago me asking on IRC about how
OODT differs from Hadoop in terms of features and functionality, which
he then gave a great page long explanation as to what the differences
were. I vowed to copy that information off and save it somewhere useful,
and of course never did, then I asked Sean who also couldn't dig it up.

So, fine folks of the OODT community, for a novice like me who would be
interested in "selling" OODT to users if the correct usecase came along,
when someone says "Isn't OODT just a different type of Hadoop?" what do
I answer?

I'd like to document this type of comparison stuff on the Wiki as well
as I think its useful for people to know and understand.

Cheers

Tom

--
*Tom Barber* | Technical Director

meteorite bi
*T:* +44 20 8133 3730
*W:* www.meteorite.bi | *Skype:* meteorite.consulting
*A:* Surrey Technology Centre, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, GU2 7YG, UK

Re: Hadoop Similarities

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.
Thanks for that Lewis, very useful. Indeed my question was never
designed to be a pro vs con's comparison, I'm just interested to know
where people see the differences as Hadoop clearly rules the roost in
"Big Data" stuff.

My background is in Business Intelligence and so I come into contact
with plenty of Hadoop + Map Reduce PR daily and you end up swamped with
that stuff (not that I've found much Hadoop in the wild, just Press
fodder). I'm interested because people clearly see a hole in the Hadoop
eco system that allows a gap in the market for the OODT setup, and
should that use case arise I'd like to make sure I'm choosing the
correct tool for the job.

Cheers

Tom

--
*Tom Barber* | Technical Director

meteorite bi
*T:* +44 20 8133 3730
*W:* www.meteorite.bi | *Skype:* meteorite.consulting
*A:* Surrey Technology Centre, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, GU2 7YG, UK

Re: Hadoop Similarities

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.

--
*Tom Barber* | Technical Director

meteorite bi
*T:* +44 20 8133 3730
*W:* www.meteorite.bi | *Skype:* meteorite.consulting
*A:* Surrey Technology Centre, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, GU2 7YG, UK

Re: Hadoop Similarities

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tom,

Re: Hadoop Similarities

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tom,

Re: Hadoop Similarities

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.
Cheers guys, I'll try collate this stuff and slap it in a Wiki page so
other folk new the project get a decent idea as to how it differs. I
think where I'm getting confused coming from a BI background is people
just think of ETL and Data Storage, and we're easily distracted when it
comes to the other stuff, unlike the science boffs ;)

  Thats the problem with all these Hadoop projects with the mega corps
behind them, they get all the PR :)

Anyway I'll try and fashion something out of it, I'm also messing around
with sample data and the OODT stack to gain a better idea, but like any
of these systems, its hard when you don't have a real usecase for it.

Tom

--
*Tom Barber* | Technical Director

meteorite bi