Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/09 16:33:54 UTC

I'm about to give up on RMing

My experience with the last four RC attempts I have made has been just a constant stream of vetos for flaky tests which I can't reproduce (at least not with the usual 10 iterations of the suite) and possibly pedantic compatability report interpretations with no patches to help and in some cases not even JIRAs filed to follow up on specifying the complaint. Life is too short to waste time and effort like this.

Re: I'm about to give up on RMing

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Something like that would be an improvement. I think my frustration stems
from a sense the burden isn't equitably shared. It also relates to what I
do as a RM which isn't policy per se. First, I run the unit suite several
times in a loop. This is scripted, but it takes time to complete and review
the results, and investigating failures and filing issues takes time too.
Then I will do the same basic checks a voter will take. Then I might run
LTT or ITBLL, which is hands on and takes more time. So far the volunteer
time spent seems perfectly reasonable and not onerous. This is not my
complaint.

When there is a veto, is the expectation the RM will follow up and fix the
problem? If it is a flaky test, that cannot be locally reproduced, this is
an additional mandate that could be costly in terms of time.

As a voter, when you cast a veto because of a compatibility issue have you
really considered if it might be allowed - our guidelines are just
guidelines, and are fuzzy by nature? Because as RM I looked at that report
too and thought it ambiguous enough to continue. The committer allowed it
implicitly by the commit. In some cases as RM I have reopened JIRAs for
compatibility problems. The recent 1.4.10RC0 is case in point. After back
and forth with the committer an incompatible change of low severity was
allowed on a Public interface. The voter should take this kind of action.
At the least we should have a JIRA reopened or filed for discussion of the
problem. What should not be considered valid, in my opinion, is a pedantic
veto that only mentions the compatibility report as reason. This is not
helpful. Guidelines, and fuzzy, if you recall.

In general for test or compatibility issues, is the expectation the RM will
fix it? That is a big assumption about the RM's personal circumstances,
wouldn't you think? Or interest in volunteering? Volunteer resources are
precious. We need to be mindful of the tradeoff here. It also applies in
code review. I think generally we strike the right balance between quality
assurance and considerations to volunteer time, but in some recent RC votes
I have gotten the impression not. No JIRAs for veto reasons. No proactive
debug of unit test failure. No patches. Hence a sense the burden for
maintaining the code isn't as equitably shared as it should be.

A policy as suggested, like a consensus that vetos should only be cast if
the issue deserves a JIRA with Critical would certainly be one way to shift
the balance. I don't think something like that is necessary. Smaller steps
as simple as giving the RM the courtesy of filing JIRAs that explain the
veto and describe steps to fix would be enough. This would shift the burden
for test failures onto the observers, who are in the best position to
understand the failure because they are the ones seeing it. It also shifts
burden on disagreements over compatibility report results. A veto for a
compatibility issue is a priori a disagreement between the voter and the
committer, and the voter and the RM. Proactive effort and remedy on the
part of the voter should be implied by this.

Thank you for your consideration.

For your consideration.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: I'm about to give up on RMing

Posted by Artem Ervits <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
We have a self supporting cohort of RMs, voters, and contributors for
branch-2 but not branch-1. I agree this is misaligned with the user centric
focus if we define 'user' as someone using a version that has the stable
pointer pointing to it. (smile)

If anything this thread is a plea from me to build a self supporting cohort
of RMs, voters, and contributors for branch-1. It should not be as hard as
it has been for myself, Francis, and I think Sean to get 1.x release votes
to complete. There should be more contributions to test hygiene and
compatibility concerns (when agreed upon) in branch-1.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

RE: I'm about to give up on RMing

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: I'm about to give up on RMing

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I would +1 a backport of HBASE-19735 to branch-1 if someone wanted to
contribute it. It looks like maven should just do the right thing and there
is no extra work for the RM; simply another artifact gets published. We can
include this in 1.5.0 and later?

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: I'm about to give up on RMing

Posted by Artem Ervits <ar...@gmail.com>.
+1 on that, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-22395

for the PMC guidelines, I think it deserves its own jira and PMC member to
address.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,