Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <tl...@mercea.net> on 2000/08/21 19:03:00 UTC

Jakarta Tomcat vs Resin?

Hi,
   Last night I fou~nd a page with a bunch of benchmarks of Resin vs a few
other servlet containers, including Tomcat, as well as mod_perkl and
mod_php. It made Resin seem MUCH faster than Tomcat (talking 80% or more)
and I was wondering if these benchmarks were skewed in some way that
doesn't demonstrate Tomcat's stronger points. I know that Tomcat has not
yet been optimized for speed, so I am also wondering what (if any)
features Tomcat provides that other servlet containers like Resin do not.
I realize that Resin is not completely free for commercial use, however,
it seems to me that if the performance difference is this drastic, the
extra hardware needed to handle the same ammount of load on Tomcat will
cost about as much as a license for Resin or another container. Can
someone give me some insight (or a URL) that explains the advantages to
Tomcat other than licensing?

Thanks,
-Todd

| Perl CGI scripting                    email tlipcon@csoft.net |
| Web Design                            email tlipcon@csoft.net |
|        My Current Projects:                                   |
| NewsWire				www.squirrelsw.com	|
| JavaGroove				www.squirrelsw.com	|

Re: Jakarta Tomcat vs Resin?

Posted by Bernhard Wraase <bw...@netkosmos.de>.
I came to very similar results like Mark a few weeks ago.
I just tested servlets with tomcat, resin and jserv with linux.
In my envinronment with solid-jdbc jserv was the fastest.
resin and jserv were similar in their performance.
Because I don't like the beggarware extension in resins
license tomcat is my choice.
Bernhard