Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com> on 2019/08/05 06:27:27 UTC

Precommit test runtime

Hi All,
  Just letting you know I tweaked the precommit testing job -
https://jenkins.impala.io/job/parallel-all-tests - so that it runs the
backend and frontend tests separately from the other tests.

If you have ideas for reducing build+test runtime, please share or
implement them. The frontend authorisation tests are running way too long,
but the long pole is still the other job with the Python tests. I looked at
a recent job (https://jenkins.impala.io/job/ubuntu-16.04-from-scratch/6942/
<https://jenkins.impala.io/job/ubuntu-16.04-from-scratch/6942/consoleFull>) and
here's the time taken per step:

0:00:20 Checked out repos
0:01:04 System setup done
0:00:27 Hadoop-lzo built
0:00:33 python bootstrap
0:00:47 download toolchain and cdh components
0:29:36 build impala
0:34:42 load data
0:45:08 serial tests
0:03:45 mini stress tests (all skipped or xfailed)
0:56:16 parallel tests
1:37:49 custom cluster tests
0:15:55 auth tests
0:01:48 archiving

- Tim

Re: Precommit test runtime

Posted by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com>.
I have a fix for the second one and I move the permanent one to exhaustive
here: https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/13967/.

I agree we don't need to test all those UDFs in a serial fashion - it's
still useful to make sure we can load a variety of hive UDFs but I think we
could just do that in test_udfs.py. Actually I think a lot of the permanent
UDFs don't need to be custom cluster tests in principle - if we always set
--local_library_dir for the test cluster and created the UDFs in a unique
database, I think we could do all of the tests in the parallel suite,
except for the ones that stop and start the cluster.

Re: Precommit test runtime

Posted by Tamas Mate <tm...@cloudera.com>.
From the longest tests these two looks like an easy ~5-8 min win. What do

Re: Precommit test runtime