Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ratnadeep Bhattacharjee <Ra...@east.sun.com> on 2001/02/02 01:16:07 UTC

How to build the struts-example?

Hello all.

I am very new to Struts. I have downloaded the binary version of Struts 0.5 from
the web and read thru the docs and also ran the examples. I was interested in
building the example application instead of copying the WAR file to the webapps
directory of jakarta-tomcat. I am not nure how to go about building it though. I
tried to run the build.sh in etc/ but it doesn't seem to find the classes. I
have changed the *_HOME in build.sh as follows:

# ----- Verify and Set Required Environment Variables -------------------------

ANT_HOME=${TOMCAT_HOME}
ANT_OPTS=${TOMCAT_HOME}
SERVLETAPI_HOME=${TOMCAT_HOME}
TOMCAT_HOME=${TOMCAT_HOME}

where TOMCAT_HOME is the root of my jakarta-tomcat installation.

I get the following error whenever I run build.sh:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jakarta-tomcat-3/2/1

My jakarta tomcat installation root is  jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
-Deep.

RE: How to build the struts-example?

Posted by Justin Kennedy <ju...@consortio.com>.
First off let me suggest to you to download the latest nightly build and
start from there. Porting from 0.5 to 1.0 is a real headache. If you do
this, remember that action.xml is depreciated in 1.0 use struts-config.xml
instead.

About your problem. At first glance, it seems that you are pointing
ANT_HOME, ANT_OPTS, SERVLETAPI_HOME to TOMCAT_HOME. but they should be set
to thier corresponding installation directory. If you want to build you will
need the source code version instead of the binary version won't you ?

read this installation instructions more closely, and you should be all set.
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/installation.html

-Justin