Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Paul Linehan <li...@tcd.ie> on 2014/01/09 07:33:05 UTC

Biggest Apache Derby database(s).

Hi all,

I would like to know (with references/URLs preferably) what are the
kinds of sizes that large Derby installs stretch to? Would it go to 1TB?
More? Less?

Thanks in advance for any info, pointers and esp. references and URLs.

Rgs,

Paul...

--

linehanp@tcd.ie

Mob: 00 353 86 864 5772

Re: Biggest Apache Derby database(s).

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 1/9/14 8:49 AM, Paul Linehan wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
>>> I would like to know (with references/URLs preferably) what are the
>>> kinds of sizes that large Derby installs stretch to? Would it go to 1TB?
>>> More? Less?
>> At Sun Microsystems
>
> Straight from the horse's mouth no less! :)
>

>> we ran a stress test on a Derby database which
>> successfully grew to 500GB.
>> I have no reason to believe that Derby wouldn't scale to 1TB as well.
>
> I perhaps should have mentioned that I'm interested in both the
> client-server and embedded - no difference?
Hi Paul,

The database size shouldn't be affected by how you connect
(client-server vs. embedded). However, network overhead may add some
performance drag when you store and retrieve data.

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Posted by Paul Linehan <li...@tcd.ie>.
Hi Rick,

>> I would like to know (with references/URLs preferably) what are the
>> kinds of sizes that large Derby installs stretch to? Would it go to 1TB?
>> More? Less?

> At Sun Microsystems

Straight from the horse's mouth no less! :)

> we ran a stress test on a Derby database which
> successfully grew to 500GB.

> I have no reason to believe that Derby wouldn't scale to 1TB as well.

I perhaps should have mentioned that I'm interested in both the
client-server and embedded - no difference? Though, at the moment,

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 1/8/14 10:33 PM, Paul Linehan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know (with references/URLs preferably) what are the
> kinds of sizes that large Derby installs stretch to? Would it go to 1TB?
> More? Less?
>
> Thanks in advance for any info, pointers and esp. references and URLs.
>

> Rgs,
>

> Paul...

Hi Paul,

At Sun Microsystems we ran a stress test on a Derby database which
successfully grew to 500GB. At that point, we halted the test, not
because it was failing, but because we had satisfied ourselves that
Derby could handle large data sets. However, I can't give you an URL
because those test results weren't hosted on a public server.